Losing detail when converting files

I need help…

When i convert to svg I lose small details like the figures dont have eyes

You will not really be able to get a decent vector file out of this bitmap, given its resolution and the level of intricacy. You should probably hunt for the vector version of that (note: it’s copyrighted)

2 Likes

Previous discussion of this file at:

2 Likes

Carbide3d discourages, rightly so, the use of copyrighted material on their site. There is liability for them as the publisher of this forum content.

That said there is such a thing as “Fair Use” of copyrighted material. You can look that up. One of the most important things to know about using copyrighted images is not not use them without permission for profit without permission of the copyright holder.

So look up fair use and you might be able to skate by with “Fair Use” for personal nonprofit use. I do not speak for Carbide3d in this matter and I am not encouraging use of copyrighted material to be clear but the odds of someone actually seeking damages for personal use of something copyrighted are slim to none. But if you sell someone else’s copyrighted material the odds go up. So be nice and seek permission. You could parody someone else work and maybe get by with it.

5 Likes

In the US, Profit is immaterial. There is no ‘Fair Use’ exception for personal use.

Also look at ‘Statutory Damages’. In short, the copyright holder doesn’t have to prove any monetary loss, by law they can just claim $150,000 (One hundred fifty THOUSAND) per infringing use.

The best you can hope for is ‘The owner doesn’t care enough to sue me’.

4 Likes

Michael, you are right and wrong. Take a look at this website as well as many others about copyright. You definitely have a point but if I made a youtube video about making an object that used a copyright object I think you could make the argument that it was educational and if you are not monetized on youtube that it was nonprofit. You could also call it a parody of the original or you are critiquing the original. So in these cases you might stretch it but it would cost you the lawyer fees to find out if you could made the arguments stick. So it is not exactly black and white for an answer.

I admit your point that $150,000.00 potential cost could be cause for concern.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/fair-use

In summary, although courts will balance all four factors when assessing fair use, the fair use defense is most likely to apply when the infringing use involves criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. In addition, some general rules of thumb can be helpful in analyzing fair use:

A use that transforms the original work in some way is more likely to be a fair use;

A non-profit use is more likely to be considered a fair use than a for-profit use;

A shorter excerpt is more likely to be a fair use than a long one; and

A use that cannot act as a replacement for the original work is more likely to be a fair use than one that can serve as a replacement.

[quote=“gdon_2003, post:6, topic:31079”]
A use that transforms the original work in some way is more likely to be a fair use;

A non-profit use is more likely to be considered a fair use than a for-profit use;

A shorter excerpt is more likely to be a fair use than a long one; and

A use that cannot act as a replacement for the original work is more likely to be a fair use than one that can serve as a replacement.[/quote]

I think the really important thing to note is the legal one “more likely to be fair use” is not “Legally OK” it is, as the words say - “more likely”. - Do not fall down the hole of “Probably” = YES.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.