Mac Game Controller Revisited

Back in thread Mac/Game Controller folks were having trouble getting the 8BitDo controller to work with CarbideMotion on OSX. I got it working and I wanted to share how I did it.

1. As per the instructions provided with the controller connect the controller to you mac running in keyboard mode. I believe that was powering it up with start+A

2. Install handy keyboard mapping application for Mac called Karabiner. It requires a bunch of permissions setting in System Preferences to set it up. I was able to reason my way about them but following prompts. I am sure there are resources for how to install on the web if you have trouble.

3. Once installed you will be able to setup mappings. It took some trial and error but I discovered what letter key each button on the controller enumerated as and figured out a mapping. The one attached made the buttons behave as I desired.

1 Like

Which 8Bitdo controller model do you use? I am not a gamer and I am new to CNC so I have no familiarity with these controllers and their application to CNC. Just setting up my new Shapeoko and hope to make my first cuts today. I am a Mac user.

1 Like

8Bitdo Zero 2 Bluetooth Gamepad… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081HNH39K?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.