Machine Freezes. Do I have to start all over?

Hi All. I am trying to carve something and it gets about halfway into the final tool path and the machine just stops with the bit resting a couple of MM from the surface of the piece. No dialogue box comes up with instructions and nothing works but pressing pause and then stop. The Carbide motion will not allow me to continue from there. It has to be rebooted and the machine re initialized to start working again. My question is, do I have to start the who cutting process over for that tool path. It’s a one hour job and I would love if there was a way to pick it up from the line of code it stopped at. Any advice would be fantastic.

If you know the line, level, or general area where it froze you could edit the G-Code.
Say the line it froze on was:

X15.0 Y17.0 Z-0.25

Delete everything between the G1 near the top, and the line above the line where it froze.
Add a safety move, and the G1 back

G0 X15.0 Y17.0 Z0.5
G1 X15.0 Y17.0 Z-0.25 F (whatever feedrate it was set to above)

Then it rapids to a point above where it left off, and continues.

1 Like

Awesome solution. I will give it a try. Of course I’ve never done any coding before so this should be interesting! Thanks, man!

You can also disable paths that have already run in carbide create and create a new cut file.

1 Like

Thanks, John. I did that, but unfortunately the path that it was getting hung up in was an hour long cut.

You may have EMI issues. Try this if you have not already. Solved many of my issues, well not the loose nut behind the keyboard.

Grounding your Shapeoko - CNC Machines / Shapeoko - Carbide 3D Community Site

2 Likes

You mentioned it was halfway through the final cut. Was the final cut a contour cut-out or a large pocket? If so, you could set the start depth of that path lower and avoid a few levels of full passes?

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.