Machine jog not working

So I have the XXl. I acquired the machine last year, but have been so very busy that I have not had a chance to use it. Well I am finally ready to start using it. I turned it on, it homed to the upper left no problem, but when I try to jog it, it does not move. I tried the rapid movements tab, and clicked on the center button, and others and it make a noise, but does not move. Any ideas?

Have you sent the machine configuration to include setting the Travel Dimensions?

If that doesn’t address things, let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll work through this w/ you.

I installed motion, and just assumed that it would know what machine and the settings were automatically. I will check those settings. Hopefully that is the problem.

After you send the config and the machine homes properly you may still think the jog is not working. The default increment for movement is the smallest and many people have mistaken the small movement as not moving. There is an increment button and you can increase/decrease as needed. Put the increment in Fast to make sure the machines moves.

Not trying to be snarky but never assume anything. There is no auto-magic sensing on the Shapeoko.

If the machine is a Shapeoko 3 XXL there are three options for the Z, belt, leadscrew and ballscrew. The Belt is self explanatory. The leadscrew is a Z-plus and the ballscrew is an HDZ. To see pictures go to carbide3d.com and shop for accessories. You can see the Z-plus and HDZ. Depending when the machine was sold it might have any of the 3 z types.

If your z goes the wrong way you picked the wrong Z. The Belt and HDZ travel in the opposite direction compared to a Z-plus. So if you initialize and your Z goes down first instead of up you may have picked the wrong Z.

1 Like

So that worked like a charm. Was able jog and all that jazz. Now I have this issue pop up. I went to use the touch probe. When started it, all it did was move about an inch or so on the x axis, then threw up an error. I then had to initialize the machine again. Once that was done, I tried the probe again, same result. So I decided to do a manual zero out, and when I run the program, it went the exact opposite way, and then gave me a spindle speed error. I am using the Dewalt Router, I really can’t set that speed. Hopefully once I get the few bugs worked out, I will be up and running. I really appreciate you help.

Please review:

https://my.carbide3d.com/getting-started-with-cnc/

If you continue to have difficulties, let us know step-by-step:

• what you did
  • what you expected
  • what actually happened

either here, or at support@carbide3d.com

Thanks I will be happy to watch, but FYI, I did tell you what I did, and what happened above.

We also need to know what you were expecting, and it needs to be step-by-step so that we can follow along.

With the probe, I jogged the machine over to the top of it, connected the gator clip, then ran probe, selected corner probe, hit start, and all it did was just move to the left, and stopped, and the software said it couldn’t. Obviously I was expecting it to touch all the axis. Same deal with the manual probing. I set the bit where I wanted it, zeroed everything out, hit go, and it when the opposite way. With the spindle speed error, I didn’t; to anything, but start the job.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.