Machine Simulator?

(Brian Mears) #1

I’m training somebody to run my machine & it would be super helpful if there were some sort of machine simulator that carbide motion could connect to so he could control a machine without any risk of damaging the actual machine. I looked and can’t find anything… does anything like this exist?

0 Likes

(William Adams) #2

While it doesn’t connect to Carbide Motion, GrblGru is a full 3D machine simulator: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Main_Page#3D_Machine_Simulation

You can put Grbl into check mode by sending $C, but that won’t afford any indication of movement.

They’re tough little machines, and thanks to the belt drive, pretty resistant to being damaged even by a hard crash — please just use the machine — if anything gets damaged, rest assured that we will work with you to sort things out and ensure that your machine gets back into operation.

1 Like

(Steve Cramer) #3

Get yourself an Arduino and program it with grbl. Carbide Motion will connect and run, but with nothing to actually control.

1 Like

(Clifford Land) #4

you can also try checking your gcode with something like camotics or gwizard editor to help you visualize your programs. make a few test programs that you have a good understanding of your work piece and what you expect to happen. then check the code. see if the output matches your expectations. it’s not a bad idea to have multiple checks as part of your work flow to build confidence in your work and help as a sanity check.

1 Like

(Jim Amos) #5

I second the Camotics suggestion…it has helped me isolate questionable GRBL movements I wasn’t expecting for my multi-tool jobs

1 Like

(Neil Ferreri) #6

In my experience, this is not the case with Carbide Motion. Have you done it?

I assumed it was looking for a specific bit of info from the Mega16u2, and I never felt it worth reflashing the USB chip.

0 Likes

(Steve Cramer) #7

I did it with an older version of grbl and CM, have not tried it lately.

0 Likes

(system) closed #8

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes