Machine Simulator?

I’m training somebody to run my machine & it would be super helpful if there were some sort of machine simulator that carbide motion could connect to so he could control a machine without any risk of damaging the actual machine. I looked and can’t find anything… does anything like this exist?

While it doesn’t connect to Carbide Motion, GrblGru is a full 3D machine simulator: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Main_Page#3D_Machine_Simulation

You can put Grbl into check mode by sending $C, but that won’t afford any indication of movement.

They’re tough little machines, and thanks to the belt drive, pretty resistant to being damaged even by a hard crash — please just use the machine — if anything gets damaged, rest assured that we will work with you to sort things out and ensure that your machine gets back into operation.

1 Like

Get yourself an Arduino and program it with grbl. Carbide Motion will connect and run, but with nothing to actually control.

1 Like

you can also try checking your gcode with something like camotics or gwizard editor to help you visualize your programs. make a few test programs that you have a good understanding of your work piece and what you expect to happen. then check the code. see if the output matches your expectations. it’s not a bad idea to have multiple checks as part of your work flow to build confidence in your work and help as a sanity check.

1 Like

I second the Camotics suggestion…it has helped me isolate questionable GRBL movements I wasn’t expecting for my multi-tool jobs

1 Like

In my experience, this is not the case with Carbide Motion. Have you done it?

I assumed it was looking for a specific bit of info from the Mega16u2, and I never felt it worth reflashing the USB chip.

I did it with an older version of grbl and CM, have not tried it lately.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.