Machine won't initilize, new machine setup fails

I’ve had my Shapoko 3 XXL with Z -Plus for about 3 years now and I’ve built a ton of things with it. I got a new PC (Win 11) recently to use for the cnc. Ever since then the machine won’t initialize and running the new machine wizard it just hangs on the “download settings” page or if I skip that it fails to initialize. The machine connects, but it wont initialize CM V618. I get “Cutter stopped responding”.
Windows and all drivers are up to date, the main board was replaced about a year ago, so I don’t think the Shapoko motherboard is bad.

Now if I run Lightburn I can get the machine to home, but won’t respond after that. Machine won’t jog or respond to goto commands (in LB). I get similar behavior in LaserGRBL, but there it at least homes then jogs for me. So I think it may be something to do with the GRBL config or firmware. Lightburn has these macros “Run CNC” and “Run Laser” which you’re supposed to run prior to using it for that function. Maybe I messed that up somehow, ran the wrong macro or something?

Thinking it was a windows 11 issue, I formatted a spare hard drive, installed windows 10 on it and I have the same exact problem.

Macro for Run CNC is
$10=0
$32=0
G10 L2 P1 X0 Y0

Macro for run laser is
$10=0
$32=1
G10 L2 P1 X-845 Y-850

Machine is dead in the water and I have a really cool guitar to finish. (baritone thinline telecaster, compound radius fretboard… about a dozen machining operations)
Should I re-flash the firmware?
If so, a how-to guide would be helpful.
Other troubleshooting ideas or resources would be helpful as well.
Thanks in advance.
-JP

What version of CM were you using before? The V6 series has a LOT of changes over V5.

You could try uninstalling V6 CM, and try the last of the V5 CM:

There was discussion here on that subject.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll give CM 5 a try today.

This didn’t work for me. (Installing C++ redistributables) But thanks for the tip.

CM 5 doesn’t work either. Same issue. Connects, homes and then won’t move. “Cutter stopped responding”.

Things I’ve tried
Reboot (of course! many times)
Uninstall/Reinstall CM 6 and drivers
Tried CM 5 as well
Baud to 115200
At least 3 different USB Cables, though the original that came with my machine has worked fine for 3 years now.
3 Different computers
GRBL updater: Carbide 3D GRBL Updater - Doen’t work, says missing a DLL
Tried everything here: I can’t connect to machine or jog it
So what’s next?
Flash the firmware/GRBL Config? Anybody have instructions for that? Should I email carbide support?
Thanks in advance.

Yes, please contact us at support@carbide3d.com

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.