Machining aluminium dogbone door handles

Greetings,
So I did my first alu project on the machine today. 2pcs dogbone door handle for a local veterinerian clinic.

If it is of use to anyone, some details:

• 10mm stock of 6063 aluminium.
  • Rennie Tool Co (UK) 1/4" single flute coated cutter.
  • 18 000 RPM on the Makita RT0702C router.
  • 0,35mm DOC, and 914mm/min feedrate

Everything worked like a charm and turned out great. Used a DeWalt shopvac for chip extraction. Not a single chip seemed to have escaped. No “re-cutting” of any chips from what I observed. And yes, I put a fresh bag in to prevent any fire hazard.

Have fun machining!

• Alex
13 Likes

Looks great! Curious to see the finished product, hope you can share a picture when it’s all done and installed.
Great job!

1 Like

looks great! next time I highly recommend adding in a chamfer operation, they really pop in aluminum.

2 Likes

Installing tomorrow. Will share pictures :+1:

2 Likes

Yes, I fully agree! I regret not doing a chamfer. It’s tricky to do after the fact, and the Dremel is not as accurate as the Shapeoko :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

14 Likes

Looks nice, but there might be a problem. :shushing_face:

4 Likes

I guess you are wondering about the keyhole? They use a different door to enter the building and unlock from the inside. It’s what the client wanted. I did point this out to them from the beginning :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

The veterinarian’s parking sign is so unique that it deserves a translation for the community.
“Customer parking only, all others will be castrated!”:joy::flushed:

9 Likes

Thanks for the translation!

1 Like

yo, good idea! You should also make a coat/umbrella holder!

2 Likes

Which machine do you have?

The Pro XXL. Great machine!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.