Machining plastic

Hi everyone. I am just starting out with plastics. I was wondering if anyone could chime in and give some suggestions. I’m cutting some glossy plastic material ( I don’t know the exact kind ) but I’m getting a lot of fuzzies. I’m using a 1/4 2 flute upcut. Plunge of 30 and feedrate of 70 ipm. I have the step over at .125. I have the dewault router set on 1. I tried running the same path but with the router on 2 but didn’t seem to make much of a difference. The pic is after I picked a lot of fuzzies off the material. Any suggestions.

I’ve found on plastics that you need two things for a clean cut

1. Move fast enough to not allow the plastic to heat up, 2,500mm/min or faster (100ipm), cut with less depth or width of cut if the machine or material isn’t happy. I tend to run at 24kRPM and feed fast

2. A cutter with a sharp shearing geometry to the edge, plastics specific and preferably single ‘O flute’ such as this one

HTH

3 Likes

Another thing to try is to have a slightly smaller step over, say .120. Every second pass is trying to match-up exactly, any real-world differences from the theoretical perfect match can have weird effects.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.