Machining Work Holding

Here’s what I’m working with,
I have a Nomad Pro.
I do have a low pro vise.
I do have the threaded plate.

I have several things I’m anxious to machine but they are things that I would need to flip once for the second operation. I’m thinking that an aluminum plate with reliefs cut out for machining the parts and a set of location pins or screws to be able to flip the material for the second op.

I need help with a couple of things.

Is there a drawing of the Carbide3D threaded plate for me to easily locate holes to hold down the aluminum part plate?

Where can I learn how to design these project-specific plates to produce the parts I’ve designed? I suppose I need to go back to school for CAM.

In all of my situations, I’m looking to machine a sheet of G10 or Carbon Fiber. (I’m aware of the respiratory issues and have those covered). Affix sheet, run Op 1, flip sheet, run Op 2. I suppose I could run other materials too, but these are the ones I’m working on at the moment.

See:

There are entire books written on workholding and fixture design and the community has put together some references at:

https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Workholding#Nomad

For an elegant design for a plate see:

1 Like

I just use flip pins on my MDF wasteboard. I have looked at doing more advanced things, but it works for now.
Winston did a video where he made custom fixturing that might be a worthwhile place to start.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.