Made Something Old New Again

I have a Steel City 14" drill press. I got it in Jan 2019. I made a table for it with the center section removable. At the time I made 3 sections out of Baltic birch. Two of the sections had gotten pretty chewed up. So I had been looking at videos on youtube about making a replaceable insert for the drill press. I was doing some Christmas shopping at Lee Valley and found these little inserts for the drill press table they sell. So along with the presents I ordered 9 (3 packs) of these.

So I took my 3 insert panels and designed a place for the Lee Valley inserts to go. I purposely put the insert off center. At the least I can flip them end for end or maybe up to four rotations depending on how big the damage is.

Here is one of the damaged inserts that I put the insert in.

Here is another damaged panel on the Shapeoko. I do not recall what burned that spot but I had to be drilling steel.

Here is the one new panel with the insert milled out and it fit perfect. I also put a 1" hole below the insert in case the t-slots did not allow me to extract the insert. Also I had posted my long L bracket in the gallery and that was very handy in tightening up the material without it twisting.

My Shapeoko 3 XXL with HDZ has been invaluable for supplementing my traditional woodworking. I have made a lot of shop projects and it has been a work horse since the day I got it.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.