Mafell Spindle with manual tool change FM 1000 WS or PV-WS

And after a bit of cleanup and opening up the holes, it fits:

Next we resolve dust collection (hoping to be able to make use of the Sweepy Pro).

4 Likes

The Sweepy Pro will require major modifications to work, but we’ll look into that when we get a chance.

1 Like

Hey modifications is what we do. Everything is customizable and customized. Aluminum is just too messy for me to want to machine. Wood is bad enough. Glad you machined the alum so I dont have to.

Nice early Christmas present for yourself.

You have a lot of write ups for your Mafell Spindle. After all your work what do you think about it?

It’s annoying to have to make the adapter plates (and this time, I’ll need to get some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to finish it — if I bother to pull it and actually finish it).

The sound is rather different from the Carbide Compact Router or Makita — the pitch seems to either be something which falls in the range of my hearing loss (too many hours wearing headphones when I was in the Air Force) or which my hearing protection is esp. good at blocking out, so a bit more tolerable for long cuts

Further complicating the mounting is dust collection — I’m back to using a Sweepy v2 bottom and adapter plate, which while workable, doesn’t afford the wonderful adjustability which the Sweep offers — I’m probably going to take a hacksaw to my Sweepy Pro plate (or fabricate a replacement), we’ll see.

I think it has lower runout, at least than a Standard Carbide Compact Router, not sure if it’s the same or better than an ER-11 unit, and should have more torque, and it will run w/ torque at lower speeds — we’ll have to see if I do any projects where that comes into play.

It’s a bit of a workout to move the transformer around — it’s a quite dense and hefty 48 pounds, and the clicking from that being switched by the BitRunner relay is a bit worrisome.

It was quite expensive — rather an indulgence — the only way I could justify the expense is there were some days when I do so many test cuts for tech support purposes that it felt as if I was spending more time wrenching than the machine was cutting.

The quick tool change is of course the big win, but if one gets an ER-11 collet unit, that’s really not that bad — I’m not under a time crunch, and I’m not inclined to rush a tool change and risk cross-threading — if I weren’t doing so many test cuts, I probably wouldn’t’ve bothered. The lower runout and greater torque are nice, but I use the default feeds and speeds, so probably won’t take advantage of that aspect — unless of course @wmoy works up new feeds and speeds for spindle-equipped Shapeokos which coincidentally work with this unit.

1 Like

One other thing is I pulled the mount and added countersinks to the lower mount holes for the unit on the back — hoping this will reduce the amount of cutting I need to do to my Sweepy Pro to make it work.

2 Likes