Maintenance 5 Pro

Hello group, I need help understanding this in the maintenance suggested by C3D. In this page, CNC Machine Maintenance, I say this but I have no idea where to do step 1. Anybody has a picture to help me?

HG-15 Linear Bearing Block Maintenance

1. Open the oil port by removing the M4 grub screw.
  2. Using a pipette, put 3-4 drops of oil into the port.
  3. Replace grub screw.
  4. After all bearing blocks are lubricated, jog the axis back and forth in Carbide Motion to distribute the oil.

Does this video help?

1 Like

On the top and bottom of both sides of an HDZ are linear bearings. In the center of each plastic enclosure is a screw/bolt. That screw/bolt removed gives you access to pour the Mobil Vactra #2 oil in. The HDZ will need to be removed from the Shapeoko to gain access to put oil in the bottom two linear bearings. If you try to squirt oil up it will just come right back out because of gravity.

After the maintenance of the bearings run your Z up and down and wipe off the excess oil. Then until oil quits dripping down the linear rails I suggest you put a rag/paper towel under the parked Z. Oil will slowly drip out for a few days and get on your spoilboard and/or your project. So before starting a project wipe off the very bottom of the rails until the oil quits dripping.

I bought these off Amazon to apply my oil. You could use an old syringe if you take shots. Just make sure the top is small enough to fit inside the opening of the bearing.

3 Likes

Exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you

Hi Martin, I believe this is the HG-15 bearing block. From the LH side looking at the HDZ Z. Looks like there are 4 on the X-axis and 4 on the Z-axis rails. You will see a hole with no screw in it for oil. Replacement HG-15 Bearing - Carbide 3D

1 Like