Making a base for a model

I’m making progress! Now am up to when the toolpath uses the 1/8" ball-nosed tool to cut out the standing part of the base, when I to to pocket toolpath, it selects all, including the raised part? Thank you,

Another solid tutorial. Learning a lot! Thanks Will

Just had a thought - would it be more efficient to make the base as two separate pieces, the flat base and the upright separately and glue to the base vs cutting all as one piece?

Of course it would. But I have a CNC that can do it.

I have gotten to the point of doing something because I think I can, spending hours trying and learning from my mistakes.

Yes, that would be more efficient/easier, esp. in terms of material, but as @Spyd noted:

and doing this as a single, solid piece of wood has style points — plus as @Zman noted:

although that sort of brings us full circle — I’ve been contemplating how this would have been done by hand, and my answer keeps circling back to:

• roughing out on a bandsaw
  • cleaning up using (many different) templates on a router table
  • drilling the recess hole with a large Forstner bit
  • a fixture on a drill press to drill the hole.

Post a screen grab or the current state of the file?

Likely issues:

• don’t have the interior geometry selected
  • the interior geometry was made using Trim Vectors and hasn’t been joined so as to be closed yet
1 Like

I got it figured out, this has been a terrific learning tutorial - Zman you make an excellent point! Thanks for the assistance; I have had this for 2 weeks and the support has been phenomenal. Thanks Will!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.