Making a larger flip jig

I’ve been having great success milling hardwoods with the flip jig on the Nomad 3 but am wanting to do larger 2 sided pieces and thought about making as flip jig that takes up the whole of the bed, screwing into the NW, NE, SW, SE screw threads like the waste board.

As I’m only working in timber, I would try it out in MDF first, milling out 2 x 32m high boards and glueing them together for a flip jog height of 62mm, within the 3 inch height limit of the machine. I realise there’ll be depth of cut issues. I would manually place horizontal threaded inserts on the front and perhaps also a side face for the screws to hold the stock.

This seems like an obvious thing to do, but I can’t find anything like it in the forums. Are there any issues I haven’t considered? Anyone done this before? I can post a file if that helps.

3 Likes

For me after trying out the flip jig a few times I just found it easier to flip and re-secure and re-zero the stock (presuming window machining style where there is still stock around all the edges after the first side) than try to get everything right inside the flip jig. Not sure if it has been the same for others.

Thanks, I’ll think about that. Yes I’m window machining but it’s been tricky cos I’m using irregular peices of rare hardwoods - I’m compromising between making the edges square enough to be held well by the flip jig and leaving enough space for the window. Flip jig has been good but yes maybe glueing and rezero is better.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.