Making a Stainless Steel Watch Case and Back on the Shapeoko 3 (Start to Finish)

New one to me. Added it to: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Vendors#U.S..2FInternational Thanks!

Thanks!

Nice selection and pretty good prices. But I still can’t locate a 1/16" ZrN coated cutter, this guy stops at 1/8 too (like C3D)

2 Likes

yea i dont see any ZrN coated 1/16… they have TiN and AlTiN 1/16 tho… ill post it here if come across any ZrN

Update: Bad news, Bad news, Good news, Bad news, Good news, Good news on the watch.

It’s still running, but the day/date didn’t move during the first night (Bad News.)

I found a bent and missing tooth in the drive train (Bad News)

I have a VERY rare movement (less than 1% of the total volume) because it has a Date at the 6 PM position (Good News $$)

There are NO replacement parts to be found anywhere in the world (Bad News)

I did find a replacement movement with a Date at the 3 PM position (Good News)

I have found a way to remove the two dials (Day and Date) and I think I have figured out how to reprint the letters and numbers so that they can be read at the 6 PM position (I think that is really the only difference is the printing position) (Good News)

On the bright side, other than not changing the Day/Date, it keeps GREAT time!

3 Likes

With the skills you have already exhibited I would have thought you could machine up another cog wheel on the Shapeoko! - No I’m not serious.

and I think I have figured out how to reprint the letters and numbers

Sounds like you may have an answer to your dilemma, I hope so after all your work, it would be nice to have everything working.

What is the watch’s vintage? Looks like it is pretty early quartz watch technology,

1 Like

Haha, thanks, I’d rather machine a watch body than have to deal with the tiny components inside. I’m 57, so the eyes, and streadiness of the hands aren’t what they used to be. I learned during my trip in Switzerland that there are few watchmakers over 45. At that age they become teachers. Yup, NOW I understand.

I think the watch is about 22-25 years old. Not that old, but I haven’t found another like it, and boy I have been searching.

I own LOTS of watches, all makes, and types, from $$$$ to $, and as Ex-NASA engineer I can appreciate the wonderful mechanics of a good wind-up or automatic, but I like the precision of quartz. My best (favorite) watch is a Seiko Solar Watch. NO batteries to change and accurate to (about) 1-2 seconds a month.

Now for the reveal; this watch project was just practice because what I really wanted was to machine a new case for the Seiko Solar out of Gold, 10-14K. I have some 18K watches and that is too soft for my lifestyle (Machinist, Harley guy, haha) So now I start the next journey. I will start with a lost wax casting, and I have found an Ex-NASA guy with the necessary equipment, and I think I have almost enough material (gold), but this one will take me at least a year…so wish me luck.

5 Likes

I have a Seiko solar as my daily driver as well, very similar to the one pictured below:

I’ve been pretty happy with it as well. Would love to see what you do with the case!

Dan

4 Likes

I’ve always regretted that my father’s 27 jewel Seiko had a similar failure (and I haven’t been able to find someone locally to replace the part — did come across one guy on the internet who does restorations, but the reality is, it’s just too large a watch for my taste (and wrist) — will probably do the restoration and give it to my son as a college graduation gift) — had an inexpensive Seiko quartz which I was very fond of, but it died an untimely death and couldn’t afford to replace it at that time. Been wearing a Timex Expedition (and kicking myself for not getting the nifty Ingersoll reproduction face which was offered for a while) for a while now (on my 3rd band — guess I should buy a stainless buckle clasp) and would like to upgrade, but kind of have my heart set on the Ingersoll face version (which I’ll likely never see for sale again).

1 Like

Oh crap, I wear a Timex Expedition, too. And we live near each other, I believe, based on your info on the Shapeoko forum. You probably don’t have dobermans, though.

Nope, no Dobermans, though am looking forward to getting a dog once I’m retired (they don’t allow dogs at work).

Never forget!

For 2 days I’ve been chasing a 0.020" error in my X-Axis. After all the preaching you think I’d first check the SET SCREW!!! Well, it wasn’t so much loose, as fatigued after 2 years of cutting metal.
The point of the set screw had a nice flat on it allowing (only on a load) to slip. In the picture you can see the small dimple from my drilling check (fool me once).

This fixture is two fold. It’ll hold the watch cover still while I engrave the outside and inside as well as a holding fixture to deepen the counterbores another 0.010".

PS I’m also working on my Spotting surface technique

(/uploads/default/original/2X/7/71898a750c7d1ffff34c019a7e1a0726b67de055.JPG)IMG_5787

!

IMG_5784|666x500

9 Likes

That spotting technique is cool.
My dad told me about that, once.
I believe one way was to use a wooden dowel and pollish.
How was yours done?
Nice to see that old style being used.
Really great work.

3 Likes

It’s a wrap, it’s finished, I’m done…

20 Likes

Great work Rich! what type of machining coolant are you using in the bath? I have been reviewing the feeds and speeds calculation to machine 4140. I have a old lawn tractor that they don’t make parts for so I might need to machine a spur gear for the transmission. Any thoughts? Have a great day!

Rob

Thanks.

I’ve machines lots of 4140/4150…and will be working with some in a week or two. My recommendation is to machine it in the annealed (soft) state and then heat treat it to the desired hardness. I know not everyone has this capability (ability). If you need to work within the hard condition…umm, well good luck. Possible? Sure, but it will be a lot slower and tougher on the machine/cutters

Coolant (Amazon)? See the photo. I mix it 10:1.

My material (unfortunately) is already hard, so I will be annealing it, machining it, then rehardening it (tempering it too of course), but that’s the way I roll.

2 Likes

Yea that was my plan to machine it in the annealed state. Thanks for the coolant recommendation.

Interestingly, for super fiddly stuff it turns out using a microscope is practical. First saw it done on the Strange Parts channel on Youtube. eg: https://youtu.be/rHP-OPXK2ig?t=20m32s

The guy there got sick of fiddy stuff too (pre-microscope), and apparently after getting that microscope his hand steadyness improved dramatically. There’s further info on that specific model of microscope too (stereo optics, etc) in case it’s useful:

Getting one is on my wish list, but not sure if it’ll actually happen. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

J,

Strange timing…I was just looking (today) on craigslist. There is a wide selection of stereo microscopes there for $20 to $50…I WILL be picking one up soon.

PS Great minds think alike…lol

R

1 Like

Oooo yeah. For that price it’s definitely worth experimenting. :slight_smile: