Making Jigsaw Puzzles

Hello,

I run a small printing business and have recently added a Shapeoko CNC machine to produce our own blanks in-house. The decision to create our own blanks stems from the inconsistent quality we’ve been experiencing with purchased ones, especially since the onset of the Pandemic.

We specialize in offering jigsaw puzzles for various occasions like gifts and events. Initially, I didn’t consider using the Shapeoko for puzzle production, but now I’m curious about its feasibility. My main concern is the potential for pieces to scatter during the cutting process. The plan would be to use the CNC for cutting only, with the finishing touches being applied through flatbed printing.

I’ve thought about a laser cutter as an alternative, but it has drawbacks that don’t align with my current shop setup. For now, I’m more inclined to optimize my space with an additional Shapeoko if feasible.

Start here at Puzzle My Joint by Tailmaker. (Look down the page.)

I’ve used it for joints and puzzles. it is highly configurable.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! I’m going to tinker around and see what I can come up with. Right now, its not playing nice with importing the .dxf file into Carbide Create Pro – keeps throwing up an error. But no biggie, I might just try converting it to another format in Inkscape and see how that goes.

For drawing these up, see:

(and that process nicely encapsulates the difference betwixt a laser and a router)

For further discussion and some successful examples of cutting:

Thanks!

Both these methods will be useful.

After going through the steps that Will outlined on the whale, I seperated the pieces and cut them on the outside/right vs. keeping the puzzle together and setting up the pieces for toolpaths. This allows a tight fit in the simulation. I am going down to the shop to cut one out and see how, as Tool says, the pieces fit. This was a teachable thread thanks all for the input and links!

Can you post your results when your done?

Whale in Whale puzzle.c2d (420 KB)
Here is the file that I did following along with Will’s instruction on the Whale 'n Whale file. I renamed it as I didn’t figure i would remember that is was a puzzle if it didn’t say as much. I will share a photo of the completed project. Also, if you have a thin piece you can cut one of these out of, feel free to use this file.

1 Like

I downloaded your puzzle. All those tabs would be a pain to remove. I use the superglue and painters tape to hold down most projects. That would eliminate all that tedious removal of tabs.

You had a whale of an idea.

1 Like

None of the pieces fit together. The tabs were easy to remove with my oscillating multi-tool and disc-sander, but the pieces were no where near close to fitting.

I downloaded the apps @CrookedWoodTex suggested but have not tried any of them yet. For your issue maybe separate each piece and cut it separate with a small offset inside to give you room to fit the pieces together. That would need to be a trial and error. Maybe just cut 2 or 3 of the pieces adjoining and see how they fit together before cutting them all to save material.

1 Like

still very confused as to why the software is not cutting out the pieces. I have tried to prove this using plywood three different ways. Cutting inside, no offset, and outside of the lines. This may be my biggest challenge yet. I have made so much with my shapeoko 4XXL, to be stumped like this is a new experience LOL.

If you have a belt-drive machine make sure that you have calibrated for belt stretch:

If files cut on a machine which should be accurate don’t fit, post the file in question and photos showing how the parts don’t fit together.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.