Manipulating 3D models in a project

If I move a 3D model within a project, it only moves the vectors but not the whole model. As a result, the vectors are no longer connected to the model and leaves a void in the new location, as seen in the simulation.

I have also noted similar behavior when attempting to resize the project workspace with a 3D model.

I have a project with a small 3d model on a much larger canvas (25" x 30"). The model is the shape of a coin and is in the center of the project. I want to move it to the lower left corner and create a linear array of the model. When I try to move the model, I am only able to move the vectors and not the complete model. This leaves a void in the new location where I moved the vectors.

In the same context, If I try to resize the project workspace, the model vectors are no longer connected to the model.

Carbide Create Pro Build 764.

How do I resize a project with a 3d model or simply move the 3d model within the project? Is it possible?

You would need to export the 3D model as a PNG and then reimport it as a Texture/Depth map.

In short, no.
Once a 3D model is set - you hit the Done button - you basically cannot touch it again with regards to size/orientation/placement as it has no connection with the 2D vectors. From what I gather, this has to do with how CC deals with 3D models as heightmaps vs meshes/vertices.
My hope is that future versions will improve on this. But for now, you basically have to delete a model, then re-import the STL & size/orient/place it again. Or, re-build the Components after changing the 2D vectors.

One helpful method(if you are importing an STL) is to take the 2D outlines from the imported model, place/size/orient the outlines after deleting the model, then re-import the STL & use the previous outlines as a guide to properly place/size/orient the new model instance.

1 Like

Hi Will.

How do I reimport the PNG file as a Texture/Depth map?

Thanks

Given a 3D model:

File | Export PNG

in the 3D Model tab, Import Image:

Adjust as desired.

When I try to import the image it is looking for an .stl file not the .png file that I exported.

Am I missing something?

Use “Import Image”, not “Import STL File”

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.