Marquetry Veneer

First time cutting into freshly glued veneer. Actually cut really well, only a small amount of tear out. I should of let it cure over night before pouring epoxy, but it looks like it will turn out.

Now time will tell if my drum sander will flatten everything without damaging the veneer.

Fun little project.

11 Likes

Rather than a drum sander, why not use a card scraper or scraper plane?

1 Like

or, but this is too late now that piece of off the machine, use the Shapeoko to surface the excess epoxy with an endmill (possibly leaving a very thin extra layer to avoid touching the veneer, and ease the manual sanding of the rest)

3 Likes

I’d be really gentle with that drum sander. 0.001 - 0.002" at a time. :wink:

All is a viable option, I’m hesitant of flatting it in the Shapeoko, but rather use the drum sander with small increments. Slow and steady will win this race.

I haven’t used a scrapper before, not sure how it would cut with the epoxy.

So….I had a high spot from wood movement during the epoxy cure. But, all turned out well, and in the end, I’m going to invest in a scraper.

The high spot was in the Love text, and you can see the sander took some of the veneer off, but in the end, you really can’t tell a whole lot. The veneer is super delicate. To make up for it, I decided to use some quilted maple for the frame and inlay walnut and connected it to the splines. I really like the look. At the end of the day, learned a ton, and this free gift to a friend for his daughter will be well received.

Cheers!

12 Likes

Beautiful! I love the edge inlays. And some gorgeous grain in the veneers.
Contrast is tough between the letters and the combo of light/dark wood.

Here’s another option… Sanding disc on the machine (certainly more accurate than the drum sander)
This is a 3" disc with a 1/2" shank. Could easily go 2" with 1/4" shank if needed, and they sell a lot of adhesive backed 2" sanding discs.

IMG_0692_sm
IMG_0693_sm

Again… very gentle. That sucker will get really hot & throw the disc if the adhesive melts. :wink:

2 Likes

what @Tod1d said:

3 Likes