Material choices and their effect

When I start a new project I get to choose a material: Any, Softwood, Hardwood, …
When I choose a cutting tool, I get to choose from what seems to be the same categories.
When I simulate there is a similar choice, but with a different list.

What interaction is there between these? I would expect the first choice should effect the bit choice, but it does not seem to have any sort of default selection effect. I still need to choose the material, yet again. Why choose the overall material if I need to still choose it again and again at bit selection time?

And what purpose does the simulation material choice have other than color of the picture? I would not expect it to effect the time estimates because they should be based upon the choice at bit selection.

And why does the simulation choice keep reverting to aluminum? Why is it not remembered?

Gary

There is no effect.

The Material and Machine choices are artifacts of when Carbide Create calculated feeds and speeds, and limited stock area to match machines — it no longer does these things — view them as a reminder (or if using Carbide Create Pro on a 3rd party machine, placed advertising).

It’s purely an aesthetic thing, and mostly I pick “Pine”.

As you note, the feeds and speeds are set by the tool selection, so that is what determines the time estimate.

The simulation material selection is not stored in the file, nor in settings and isn’t persistent — you’ll need to set it as you wish, when you wish.

To add to what Will said about views, material views are sometimes harder to see in certain types of material. Carbide Create picks your feeds and speeds for default settings that are very conservative. Experience in materials is where you will shine on picking your feeds and speeds. There might be redundancies in some of the creating/programming, but these are there so you can make sure you have the right settings for your desired needs.

I found many times that each toolpath I have created for my designs can be increased, per material, to reduce runtimes. The program defaults in simulation because aluminum is the first in the list. It is a good habit to get into checking your material each time you create a new design. But these views dont have any effect to feeds and speeds.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

The various machines do have different speeds and speeds. If you have an SO3 it would not be wise to run tools from the HDM list. The HDM is a much stiffer machine and run at faster rates than an SO3 can handle. If you dont want to see all the machines you dont use you can filter so you only see the ones you want to see when editing a tool.

Here is the #251 1/4" down cut bit from the HDM tool list

hdm_251

Here is carbide3d_hardwood #251 1/4" down cut

carbide3d_hw_251

The DOC is almost twice for the #251 for the HDM over the generic Carbide3d tool.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.