#MaterialMonday on YouTube

Gerald, maybe you should explain why you think it is not correct. I’m not advocating for anything but if you state that something is wrong, you should say why that is.

I also added this comment to the associated YouTube post: “Isn’t it material removal rate, rather than the number of cutter flutes, that dictates cutting power and force requirements?” Do you think that’s sufficient?

Well at least you explained your initial comment, I (and probably most people here did not the comments on the YT video since it is embedded in the thread, the comments are not visible unless you click to go to YT.

1 Like

You’re right - thanks for pointing that out! I went to YouTube to see if anyone had mentioned this before posting either place.

Do you see my point? Do you think Carbide3d should address it? Do you think they will? @WillAdams?

The discussion has to take place with Winston @wmoy who produced the video. Maybe he will reply to this thread or the YT comment.

I’m just a junior here especially when it comes to F&S so I will let others who are better grounded on this subject join the debate.

@gmack the comment about spindle torque assumes constant chip load, which has higher priority for me than feedrate when I set my S&F in Fusion. MRR and everything else falls out from there.

Improving the way we share feeds and speeds is something we’re definitely thinking about. The old way of making a one page chart with a random sampling of materials for a single endmill per machine isn’t going to cut it. But a single massive chart is also not sustainable, especially when each tool and material combo can be used in different ways (ex. slotting vs pocketing vs adaptive). We know there needs to be a better way, and we’re working on it…

7 Likes

Yeah, sadly the Materials page on the wiki is filled with a bunch of false starts.

This seemed pretty workable:

https://public.tableau.com/profile/willadams#!/vizhome/Carbide3DCNCFeedsandSpeeds/Sheet1?publish=yes

but I’d like to work up something better.

I’m feeling a simple web application coming on.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Speeds, Feeds, Power, and Force (SFPF) Calculator History

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Speeds, Feeds, Power, and Force (SFPF) Calculator History

How is that typically dealt with?

IMO tool life is determined by the amount of material cut and the associated tool stress level. Chip-load increases generally increase tool stress without necessarily increasing the amount of material removal. HSM (less than 4000 SFM for aluminum) appears to be the exception. You’re a pioneer - “no guts no glory” :wink:

1 Like

While not directly part of the series, this fits in well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm-qSytjFnI

1 Like

Cast Acrylic for the Shapeoko:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9qi6Z-CEP8

1 Like

While not part of the series, we do have a video on cast iron up now:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Another material:

Garolite/G-10

Brass:

Richlite:

1 Like

Two more videos on metal:

1 Like