McFly Alternatives

Sometime 2-3 years ago, I accidentally bought the 8mm McFly Cutter, imagine my sadness when I tried to use it on my VFD spindle a couple months ago! I went to buy the 1/4" version, but it was sold out, and it seems to still be sold out (it may have come back in stock but it’s been busy)…

Are there any good alternatives out there for surfacing? I actually use these more to clear off epoxy on my projects after its cured. I’m not super pleased with the endmills that I’m using and I need a good alternative.

I use this guy and love it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TGKKMLF/

I remember it being less expensive when I bought it though.

1 Like

Lol I remember a lot of things being less expensive these days…

Thanks for the recommendation!

Why not buy an 8mm ER-11 collet (and matching nut)?

I bought one from Maritool which has worked well for me on my machine.

2 Likes

This, alot of the times you can get a 8mm collet for 1/4" spindles.

I have an Amana bit and a Whiteside one. If you don’t do the rotatable carbide tips, they are alot cheaper, depends on what you all need to do and your budget.

Okay, so full disclosure, I had no idea I could do that. So I can buy an 8 mm collet for the Carbide VFD spindle? I just need to make sure it’s ER-11?

Yes if you have the carbide one, any ER11 collet will fit, there are many sizes.

I’ve bought a number of them from Maritool as well, so i’ll second that recommendation, reasonably priced and good quality.

1 Like

I bought the 8mm nut for my VFD spindle, works fine.

I purchased:

and

and also grabbed:

and all have worked well for me on my ER-11 Carbide Compact Router — I don’t believe there’s a reason they wouldn’t work w/ a VFD spindle w/ ER-11 collet.

1 Like