Meshcam .egc wont open

I created my toolpaths in Meshcam as .egc files. I am using the Carbide license that I got with the my Shapeoko 3XXL. When I tried to run it in Carbide Motion, I got an invalid g-code error. Any advice on what I need to do to get this running would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Which version of Carbide Motion are you using?

What version of MeshCAM?

Please post the .mcf and .egc file here or send them in to support@carbide3d.com

Carbide Motion is build 4.0.428 and Meshcam is V7 build 43, 64 bit

I don’t have a .mcf. I created the tool paths from a .png.

jmrough.egc (107.1 KB)

Can’t you save a .mcf after importing the PNG?

The only option it gives me are: save relief as bitmap or save relief as stl. Save project is greyed out.

Try saving the relief as an STL, then reimporting that — that should allow you to make a .mcf — does it have the same problem?

I was able to save it as an STL. I was also able to save the STL as a .mcf. I recreated the toolpath from the MCF and it still gave me a bad G code error.

The .mcf was too large to attach

Please send the .mcf in to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to puzzle this out with you.

Thank you for your help. I emailed the file

1 Like

MeshCAM is only included with the Nomad, not the Shapeoko, so the .EGC files cannot be opened without a Nomad connected.

2 Likes

Interesting. I guess the registration code was accidentally included with my shipment. I did buy it during last year’s Black Friday sale, I am guessing the packing and shipping facilities were probably a mad house.

Bummer, it’s a cool program. It definitely works much better for this project than what Carbide Create was able to do. Unfortunately, after spending close to $2,500 on the machine, lumber for the table, bits, a dust collection system, lighting, ect, paying an extra $500 for software to make up for the short comings of the native software isn’t really in the budget. Maybe I’ll try it again when the budget allows.

For now, I guess it’s back to the drawing board.

Thank you for letting me know.

If you wish to cut an STL you can convert an STL into a depth map using stl2png and then cut as a texture with the free license of Carbide Create Pro

Black Friday machines would have included a link to get Alibre CAD, which was part of the promo, not MeshCAM.

1 Like

I started this process with a png which I imported into MeshCam. I will try to register a copy of Carbide Create Pro and see if that works. I don’t recall anything about Alibre CAD and the code I got for MeshCAM worked. I suppose it’s too late to get in on the Alibre Cad promo.Meshcam

That Carbide 3D license for MeshCAM is only for use with the Nomad.

I understand that now. I was just saying that it seems that I got the Nomad offer of Meshcam rather than the Shapeoko offer for Alibre. I attached the image to show, that i did in fact, have the Carbide 3D License of Meshcam, despite the fact that it was only intended for Nomads. When I have the opportunity to add a Nomad to my workshop, I will look forward to using it.

I promise, I am really not trying to be difficult or weasel my way into free stuff.

I am just trying to make the most of my machine with the resources that I have available to me. Up until I attempted to create a topographic design I was using a combination of Carbide Create(not pro) and InkScape. I had watched a video by Winston Moy who recommended using MeshCAM for carving topography. As I was under the impression that I had a working copy, I attempted it.

When I tried the design in Carbide Create (not pro) it created random holes in the topography that weren’t present in Meshcam. I will go through the steps you emailed me to setup Carbide Create Pro, and see if I can get the job done that way.

Thanks for all of your help so far.

1 Like

if you’re trying to carve landscape/heightmaps then CC gets you quite reasonable results

(I tend to create the gcode for landscapes with a custom tool I created (it’s on github)… but that’s not for the faint of heart)

3 Likes

Did you see this particular video where Winston uses CC Pro for terrain carving?

My goto solution for this kind of things is to use @fenrus’s nitfy online tool that will generate a grayscale heightmap from any STL, and then import that in CC Pro (see this thread for example), done

1 Like

I did thank you.This is the method I ended up using.My issue with CC was that for some reason when I cropped the image down, one of the lakes turned into a complete void in the design. I was able to crop it at close enough and not get the void. Unfortunately, all of my free time was spent troubleshooting and tweaking. So, I have yet to be able to attempt the cut. By the time I get any free time during the week, my little one is in bed. Since the CNC is in the basement, my wife frowns on me firing it up after that.

I do have some STLs I woudn’t mind trying the Fenrus’ tool on. I found it on GitHub. It looks like something that will take a bit of time to get situated so I will hold off on those for now.

Thank you, I found your tool. I see what you mean by not for the faint of heart. I am interested in trying it out, I will just need to set aside some time to go over it all in depth.