Metal pyramids found after machining

Found several (6 or 7) metal pyramid shaped things after cutting some plywood. Any idea what they are? I found them when I finished cutting a project, and two were in the dust boot, and a couple more on the board. They are flat on top and pointed on the other end. 2.84 mm in diameter and 4.82mm long. Is my machine falling apart? Is this part of something? I was cutting birch plywood. Using the 251 spiral down cut bit.

Were there nails in your plywood?

It did not have nails. It was new Baltic Birch.

People shoot at trees and put nails in trees to hold up signs and fence wire. I dont recognize those but can you scratch them to see if they are screws with something melted onto the threads.

Maybe take a look at your router and see if there are any missing screws/bolts on the bottom of the router.

The things we find sometimes are a mystery. When I find a bolt/washer/nut laying on the floor of the shop I put it in a box in my junk drawer and when I finally discover where it belongs I know where it is.

Take a knife and see if they are soft like lead. They almost look like pellets from a pellet gun.

1 Like

Thats a good thought. Did a smash test and they didn’t budge. Looked all over the spindle and the x axis, but not seeing any place they would go.
The wood is Baltic Birch, i have never found a surprise in any of that flavor ply.

My son had a pellet gun as well as a .22. They look identical. I called them cat killers. Thankfully, He was trained right about guns, pets, birds, No he didn’t shoot his eye out.