Micro End Mills 0.2mm - 0.5mm Feed & Speed

Interesting thread, getting in to micro machining too.
Currently have a .25, .5, .75 and 1mm tapered bits.
Looking to really start on pine and cheaper woods as I learn. Hopefully will move on to ali as I want to make jewellery

Personal opinion, assuming that bits are 1mm and smaller and not a fraction of an inch, they will not give you great results in pine, it is too soft. The small bits will basically give you a scratch in the wood with fuzzies on each side. No crisp lines. I would suggest a harder wood like maple to practice with the smaller bits.

2 Likes

Good point I hadn’t considered that pine might be too soft.
Yes I’m working in mm :slight_smile:

I’ll look around for some different woods to try too

2 Likes

Hi Annie,

I don’t have much knowledge about the jewelry production but I use my Nomad for production of chips. I’ve been working with PC (or polycarbonate material) for the past month and I’ve made use of 0.1mm and 0.2mm flat end mills for carving out the channels. For both these mills, I kept the spindle speed constant at 10000rpm. For 0.1mm flat end mill, I plucked in the feed rate as 76.5mm/min and the plunge rate as 2mm/min and for 0.2mm flat end mill, I used the feed rate and plunge rate as 186mm/min and 7mm/min respectively. These values worked perfectly for the material I’ve chosen. I cannot guarantee the same for gold but it’s worth a try. Hope this helped!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.