Mini Announcement - Homing switches

@neilferreri It looks like I have the v2.3 board.

If youā€™re comfortable with some small electronics work, I made a PCB that breaks out the switch pins to screw terminals. I ā€œfuture proofedā€ it by adding a 5V rail and some PWM pins. You could easily remove the connectors on the prox switches and use the screw terminals. Iā€™ll have to track down the extra boards, but itā€™s yours if you want one.
It mounts directly to the 12pin connector on the board. The controller cover wonā€™t fit anymore, but yours is old enough to look a little used. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

@neilferreri Thank you very much for the offer, but this might be out of my league! Iā€™m comfortable with most things except when it comes to these boards, Iā€™m afraid I would make matters worse. Support did get back with me and i think Iā€™ll look into that path of getting new. Thanks again for the help and offer, I really appreciate it!!

Interesting to see the 5v rail brought up to the headers. The surplus current available on the CM PCB 5v circuit is not great, so if you are going to use this 5v ā€˜feedā€™ you will need to keep down below 100mA or less. The on-board 5v regulator only has so much current and thermal capacityā€¦ Best to use the 24v and provide your own 5v on the PCB from my experience (unless you are sure of max current demand).
Youā€™ll never guess how I learned this :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

The 5V was only pulled out for lines like those on proximity switches or a probe indicator LED. Iā€™m not planning on running anything with the 5v. Itā€™s the same idea as the expansion board C3D has now or that others have made. Iā€™m actually not using it now (still on original Omrons), but I thought I might in the future. I also wanted to bring 12v and 24v out, but I figured Iā€™d outgrow the controller before I made any use for those.

@osu22go No problem. Are you getting the new ā€œProā€ controller?

Oh, I didnā€™t even think about it being setup as side by side pages.
I just opened a new download of the PDF in Acrobat and the Initial View in document properties is
Two-Up (Cover Page)

Thanks for pointing that out :slight_smile:

Jeffery

2 Likes

Question how hard are they to install
Is there a video on installing them
Jeff

Have you see that one ?

1 Like

The inductive homing switches are quite simple to install, please see:

1 Like

I just finished my xxl upgrade to proximity switches. The upgrade was simple and took about 2 hours to complete. Although my upgrade took about 3 hours because I cleaned off dust from places that are otherwise inaccessible and removed the old sticky pads from the original assembly. These sticky pads had failed long ago. The original pads were the rather thick sticky pads and separated. The 3m pads they sent with the new drag chain brackets will most likely hold well but if they dont I can replace them.

In my post I had only one issue. The switches all worked by testing them with a piece of metal, however during the first initializing the X switch was set high to be detected and the machine made the horrible buzzing. I had my hand on the off switch so it only lasted a few seconds. I moved the switch down slightly and the metal frame would trigger the switch. Initialized and continued with setting up the BitRunner and all went well.

I like the new riser board that has all 3 sensors. I hooked up the BitSetter and BitZero to the riser board. Donā€™t do that. The BitSetter ran ok but the BitZero did not work properly. I put the jumper board back in, no harm no foul.

5 Likes

I had a similar experience, took about 2 hours of actual install time to put them on, plus some cleaning/wire cleanup time, plus a chunk of time chasing down a problem. The female connector for the riser board wonā€™t seat fully onto the mail connector on the Carbide Motion board, as a result the cover wonā€™t go back over the controller. I pinged support and as always they responded fast and are looking at it (support has always been great for me, kudos guys). My kit was also missing the M4x6mm BHCS for the Z-Axis Proximity Switch Mount but I have an assortment so that was no big deal.

1 Like

Just opened up the box with my new proximity switches and the M4x6mm screw is missing. Unfortunately i cannot find a substitute in my collection of odd screws :frowning:

@neilferreri. good question, I donā€™t know the answer to it or know if Iā€™ll be able to tell when I get itā€¦I ordered it up so Iā€™ll let you know when I get it. I had another limit switch issue so Iā€™m hoping a new board and switches will let me start from scratch and it will all hopefully work!

Please contact us at support@carbide3d.com and weā€™ll do our best to take care of this.

Has anyone here had experience with Carbide3d exchanging or accepting returns on items? It looks like I ended up with the standard proximity switch kit instead of the XL that I need (I assume thatā€™s what it is as my pigtails on the switch are really short). Iā€™m tempted to go ahead and order another kit hoping that it takes care of the issue, but I donā€™t really want to keep the standard kit. Also, does anyone know if the location that they ship from in sterling, IL is one where I can walk up and try to exchange this? I thought I would see if anyone had any experience with this. I do have a ticket in and Iā€™m sure they are looking into it in shipping, but Iā€™m just on the edge of not getting this in time for a project I want to work on Friday if I donā€™t put in an order soon I would guess. Thanks for any ideas you all might have!

in my experience an email to support and all reasonable requests get fixed quickly

4 Likes

Please e-mail us at support@carbide3d.com

Unfortunately both of our locations are in industrial parks with no provision for parking or customer access, so a physical exchange isnā€™t an option.

In my excitement to purchase I made the same dumb mistake - working with support to get it resolved but have a deconstructed machine in the meantime :cry: I could put back all the old switches, but I think Iā€™ll just wait it out.

2 Likes

Thanks for making me feel better ha! I went ahead and ordered an XL kit up because Iā€™m also hoping to get things back together after tearing it down. I got an email with instructions on how to send the standard kit back, so Iā€™ll get that moving soon. Lesson learned-make sure you double check the pull down and pick the specific machine you have!

1 Like

just got emā€¦and no new cool stickersā€¦machine 2k. hdz 400, bit setter, bit zero now switches and no cool stickersā€¦im really bummed about itā€¦but love my machine!

1 Like