Mini wiskey barrel

Anyone use their shapeoko to design and cut out a working mini wiskey barrel? Just not sure how you go about getting the correct shape of the slats to make them fit tight ans have that iconic barrel look?

I got into some of the math involved in this sort of thing at:

It’s a very complex shape, and unfortunately, not directly amenable to 3D tooling, and I don’t know if modeling in 3D and then cutting with a ball-nosed endmill would be workable in terms of result or time needed for machining.

There’s a reason why coopering is a woodworking specialty unto itself.

What you want to make are called “barrel staves”. I’ve seen YouTube videos on making those in our kind of environment, but not on a CNC router like the Shapeoko.

2 Likes

I might try making this as a segmented turning.

1 Like

As Thin Lizzy and Metallica sang “There’s whiskey in the jar-o”

Now some men like a-fishin’
And some men like the fowling
And some men like to hear
To hear cannon ball roarin’

Me, I like sleeping
'Specially in my Molly’s chamber
But here I am in prison
Here I am with a ball and chain, yeah

Musha rain, dum-a-do dum-a-da
Whack for my daddy-o
Whack for my daddy-o
There’s whiskey in the jar-o
Yeah!
Whiskey in the jar-o

2 Likes

@gdon_2003 You are showing your age! :smiley:

As happens sometimes, (I think we’re being monitored!) when we write about stuff then stuff gets fed to us without our asking.

So, this YouTube video was presented to me about barrel stave making. However, I’d have to say I don’t know how this guy has kept all of his body parts.

Having warned you about the safety violations, he does present some simple ways to make the staves. Perhaps there’s an adaptation for the Shapeoko?

DIY $5 Fake Wine/Wiskey barrel from a single 2x6

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.