Mirror frame with tiling and a wood joint

I have a long-range plan to carve a wooden headboard. It will require some tiling, since the length of the headboard will be 3 or 4 times the range of my Shapeoko XXL.

I thought I had better get some practice in before tackling the big job, so I tried milling this mirror frame. It had to be done in three tiles. I used pine, since I wasn’t entirely sure I knew what I was doing and didn’t want to risk my expensive wood. I also wanted to practice this type of half-lap joint that will be used on the headboard.

My table is on casters, so it can be swung away from the wall into the middle of the shop. This opens up space in the Y-direction and allows for tiling long pieces.

It worked out pretty well, although I went overboard on the indexing arrangements. I used four index pins, plus two stops mounted against the left side of the board so the blank could be slid against them as it was advanced. I now think one pin and the stops would have been sufficient.

19 Likes

That is a very nice design. Where did you get the inspiration for it? Is the mirror one of those cheap door mirrors recycled?

Looks very stylish. Sure your significant other likes it. Personally I only have 2 mirrors in my whole house, the bathroom medicine cabinet and a hand mirror in a drawer. Lets just say I dont look in the mirror a lot.

Very nice. I really like that half lap joint!
I use Vectric Vcarve and when I do tiling, I have the machine drill a hole Y (where the second tile starts) and X19. I also use a stop on the side to keep it lined up that way. After the first tile is done, I move the piece down, move the spindle to Y0 and X19 and then I line up the bit and board to line up in that predrilled hole. It works well and I don’t need any pins.

1 Like

Thanks. That joint is from 50 Downloadable Digital Joints For Woodworking. In case you haven’t seen it. Lots of good ideas there.

I went with Fusion 360 instead of VCarve when I started out. Fusion doesn’t have the automatic tiling option VCarve has. It’s a little more involved, but it can still be done.

I found the design by going online and searching for “Greene & Greene frames”. This design looks more Japanese than G&G to me, although G&G does have a lot of Asian influence. And I don’t think G&G ever used pine. :grinning:
Not sure where the mirror came from. It’s 16" x 54" and has been hanging around the house for a while.

1 Like

Very, very cool design!

Thank you for sharing your work.

1 Like