Model bigger than bed

I’m sure this has been handled here before, but I keep coming up with the wrong problem. My issue is this. I have a 3D model. She’s big. 56" tall, roughly 48" footprint. I already have it sliced into 2" layers that will be carved from foam. The issue is the now 48x48 footprint. I’m literally just 3D machining the edges of this thing. Tiling will obviously not work…at least the way it has always been described. Maybe the only way to do it is the way I am already planning, but, I have to ask the community. I generally use Vcarve for everything. Below is the example image of my current plan. Cut this footprint into 24" squares, machine each one very inefficiently and hope for the best fit after. The problem I am running into is setting the proper origin for each piece…bearing in mind I have about 28 layers to split up like this.

Can you share an image of one “slice”?
Are those 4 sections in your post supposed to fit together?

They all just meet in the corners there to create this big one. I believe I actually figured it out after finding a random video from 10 years ago that finally mentioned a button you need to hit to get the origins to line up.

What size machine do you have?

If not the 5 Pro then tiling would allow you to do each side so 24x48 sheets.

Your toolpaths look like they are doing some 3d operations in the flat areas where you split the model.
Your origins don’t matter, right? Just cut the pieces out and attach them correctly.
It can help to add geometry for alignment of the stack. Dowels, boards, PVC pipe, etc.

1 Like

Sadly I’m still using my old 3 XXL. If this job continues on with more in the future, I may have to customize the carriage a bit so I can make this thing at minimum a 4x4. One benefit I suppose to it being a bit of a dumb machine is it doesn’t care or actually know it’s own size…I’ll just tell it what it is.

For some reason Vcarve is a bit dumb and I have to just give it an area to do the 3d carving…which on those flat edges means just a quick plunge that helps cut it out. Whats frustrating is that there are undercuts no matter which orientation I choose, so it’s a choice of which face to use. This would obviously be WAY easier if I had a 4x4 or 4x8 bed but…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.