Money is the Root of All Evil

I just finished machining some money clip covers. I have 3 PSI money clips and will finish these and epoxy them on. I was going to make 3 different ones but I had a piece of oak that was .181" thick and 2.5" wide. So I just modified my CC file with the new material parameters and decided to give it a go. Looks like it was good. I need some clean up and to decide how to finish these. I am leaning toward Watco Danish oil. It is fast and a money clip gets a lot of wear in the pocket so poly and other film finishes would wear off quickly in my opinion.

Here is the money clip an experiment out of River Birch I cut on the lathe.

I will use a dremel tool to rough up the surface of the money clip before gluing it on.

Here is a cutting board I got at a discount store made of bamboo. I cut the SFA Logo and filled it with epoxy. It is 12" x 9" and sanded the logo side to 1200 Grit and just applied BriWax to shine it up.

The epoxy is purple but looks black in the picture. Purple is the SFA colors.

6 Likes

Got my money clips glued up. The medallions were finished with Watco Danish Oil. I ordered some StarBond 5 minute epoxy and used that. I clamped them for about an hour with a spring clamp. Not the ground shaking project but I think they look nice. I used the 60 degree to put a champher around the edge before cutting the medallions out. Came out pretty good for my first attempt of champher.

I tried to not put too much glue on to keep squeeze out to a minimum. Still got some but I used Acetone to clean up the wet epoxy and came out good.

Another project I just got started was a 5x7 picture frame. I had cut the frame out some time ago. I decided to put “My Best Friend” on the bottom so people can put their dog, wife or friend in the frame. I will use black acrylic paint to fill in the letters and then Watco Danish Oil. The good thing about the Danish Oil is it is a one and done process.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.