Motor failure causing abnormal movement

I’m going to open a support ticket but I figured posting here would also be helpful

I just finished a small vgoove job when the device was moving to the job complete position and something did not sound right.

I tensioned the belts and checked everything else but I could see during initialization one side was not moving at the same rate which caused the gantry to jerk a tad.

Video 1
Jog with abnormal sound/movement

Video 2
side 1, no movement, device powered on

Video 3
side 2, movement, device powered on

My guess is the motor shown in video 3 is bad and should be replaced. If anyone has an alternative theory, bring’em on.

Thanks!

Saw your ticket in the queue and responded there.

Do you or a friend have a multimeter?

Yes, I have a multimeter.

Connections from the board to the final connector have been verified

1 Like

Please power down and swap the Y1 and Y2 connectors at the controller, then power up and attempt to initialize — this will make the Y-axis move backwards — does the problem swap sides? If so, it’s probably the stepper driver chip on the controller.

Power down and put things back and let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll get this sorted out.

Y1 and Y2 swapped and it did initialize backward.

The problem persists.

For orientation sake, it’s the left side of the unit where i see the issue. As you can see in video 3, I am able to easily push on the gantry and move only that motor. when the unit is moving towards me, I can see just slightly that the right side is a tad ahead of the left which causes some of the noise.

Happy to test some points with a multimeter if needed.

Let us know about the specifics of all these tests at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to get this sorted out.

Worked with support to get this sorted. Turns out it was a bad cable for one of the Y motors. Support was awesome in helping me troubleshoot and get a replacement cable prior to the long weekend.

Thanks, Cardbide3D!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.