Multiple passes/window project

The question I have is has anyone tried CNCing a fancy church window? I am currently working on the design in Create and was playing with the tool paths. I noticed when doing an advanced vee cut it won’t cut close to the edge, but a bit away from it in the simulation. The idea was to have a stepped look from flat to 60 degree to 90 degree then cutout for the window. I have most of the file vector lines laid out, just needs a few tweaks. Eventually I would like to make it and trying doing a small glass window or podium/alter.

Instead of a v-bit have you tried a simulation with a tapered end mill? The carving looks to fit the bit between the two edges for a clean cut. With a tapered end mill you will end up with a gentle sweep and can go right on your line or on the side.

I would save a copy of the file and try this. I’m sure others may have different thoughts.

This is based off of what I am picturing what your trying to do. I assume it will look like stepped moldldings when you are done.

Is the glass already cut?

If it is, why not just do the traditional lead and solder and foil wrapping?

Are all the glass pieces shaped so that pockets for them can be cut out using a round endmill?

If not, are the interstices thick enough to allow for dogbone overcuts which will still be strong enough to hold everything in place?

If you post the design and let us know the dimensions we should be able to work up a step-by-step tutorial.

if you’re going for the glass-in-lead look, this thread Epoxy Gift Coasters i worth browsing through, it shows a bunch of us trying the technique there with varying success and tips/tricks to do better… it’s all epoxy based but it was fun to do (although mine was a bit tedious in parts, I was too ambitious and picked a design with many small patches of colors)

4 Likes

I have not made any glass for the window and I was planning on using plexiglass. Attach is the file. I would like for the corners to be more crisp, but I don’t know what to do about that. The bits I have are: Nomad-301, 302. Amana- 46202, 46170, 45771, Carbide-101, 102, 201, 202, 251. I don’t have the pro version of create, so I am limited to what I can do. If you have any suggestions I am more that willing to here them.
churchwindow.c2d (3.4 MB)

Man, what a fantastic idea! The epoxy would add so much strength to the window too. I will have to look into this more. Thanks for the idea!

1 Like

Will it be used as an actual window, or otherwise exposed to substantial UV? Epoxies do not typically withstand UV exposure. A clear paint system can be used to protect it. Additionally, unless specifically formulated for the purpose, epoxies don’t do well with high temperatures.

Pro’s 3D modeling or Engrave toolpath won’t help for this, so no limit not to have it.

One thing you can do to get more detail is to use Advanced V carving where possible. — but that will only help at the surface of the cut — will you be cutting a second piece to fit over the glass?

Alternately, you could cut individual parts out and fit them together — that would allow sharp joins and interstices — perhaps you could do that only for the front parts covering the glass joins?

Oh I forgot about epoxy not doing well in UV. I was thinking I could flip the image and board to the back of the stock and do a few pass on the back. Maybe a pass to remove bulk, then contour pass and engrave pass to finish it up? I don’t think I will make a back part to hold glass. I was going to use acrylic sheet I have from a ink block class I took a few years ago. I got some zam polish I can use to clean it up. I haven’t thought of cutting in multiple parts. I was hoping I could get it done as one whole thing. I also considered using Blender to create a stl file and using another program to convert to a high map for pro. If I do that I feel like it may be better to just try and use vetric. I’m not sure what program would be best at the moment as I am still fighting with Carbide Create and Motion.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.