There have been some discussion around water cooled spindles in New spindle, water cooled, so I thought I would finally post some details of my setup.
- Spindle: 1.5kW water cooled spindle from UgraCNC: https://ugracnc.com/index.php/online-store/product/gmt-water-cooled-cnc-spindle-1-5-kw-220v-24000-rpm-r. 80mm diameter, 3 phase 220v, ER16 collet.
- Mounted with 80mm custom spindle mount from Chris at Blue Ox Solutions: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Designed-to-Order-Router-Spindle-Mount-for-most-Routers-Spindles-and-CNCs-/261577624361
- Cooling: All in one reservoir / pump / radiator: http://www.swiftech.com/MCR140-X.aspx, Also a cheap flow meter from eBay to monitor that the water is actually flowing.
- VFD / AC Drive: Allen Bradley Powerflex 523 (http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Drives/PowerFlex-523), specific model is 25A-A8P0N104 - 2 hp, 240v single phase
- VFD / spindle speed is controlled by GRBL using PWM2B from Tutan Automation (http://tutanautomation.com/shop/pwm2b-2-channel-pwm-to-analog-converter/) to convert PWM from GRBL to 0-10 VAC for the AC drive
- Dust shoe is Mini-Split Shoe from KentCNC, 80mm w/ 3" brush ring (https://www.kentcnc.net/nc/mini-split-shoe). Dust separation using Rockler DustRight cyclone (http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-dust-separator). Suction from a Dewalt DWV010 hepa shop vac (http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/dust-management/dust-extractors-and-vacs/8-gallon-wetdry-heparrp-dust-extractor/dwv010)
There’s a lot of other stuff going on to control relays for spindle e-stop and safety switch, auxiliary relays to control vacuum, and various other power supplies. Everything is driven by an RPI and touchscreen monitor using bCNC. Let me know if you want any other specifics!