My 2023 Projects Summed Up

Just wanted to share my first year of using a CNC machine (SP5 4x4). Lots of learning from these projects. Some were partially cut out on the CNC and some were entirely done on the CNC.

Napkin Holder with my first 3D relief (hornet).

Gaming PC Cabinet to put under my TV. Doors cut out on CNC.

My Attempt at an Art Deco style night stand. Drawer Faces were cut out on CNC.

A dresser, mostly cut out on CNC.

Cat House. Entirely Cut out on CNC.

17 Likes

Nice work. With woodworking it is a live and learn process. Sometimes a design on paper is not also the same when you actually make it to scale. All of your projects look good to me and since I assume they are in your house you are final judge of what looks good. Just keep moving forward. Many woodworkers are over critical of their own work. Dont fall in to that trap. Be proud of what you make because so everyone else will.

I used to live in suburban neighborhood in Kingwood Texas. I lived on a very long block and the gang mail box was right in front of my house. I was always working the garage and my neighbors would get their mail and come and look at what I was doing. They were all amazed that I was making stuff. Most people do not know how to do anything anymore. I was the only person on my block that cut my own grass and fixed my own cars. So be proud of what you have accomplished. You are at so many levels ahead of your peers.

1 Like

Those are ALL gorgeous. Very nice! I am brand new at CNC, but really want to learn how to do something like the 3D image of the wasp. How did you create that file? Do I have to upgrade to Carbide Motion Pro in order to do something like that? Was the wasp made with Advanced V-Carve?

Keep up the great work. Inspirational.

You will be able to do it pretty soon.

I am using Fusion 360, so I am not sure about Carbide Create or Vcarve. I found the steep learning curve in fusion 360 worth it.

To do the hornet I used the method from this tutorial.

After making the hornet, I made the models of the parts in fusion 360, and then converted them into tool paths.

For the carving, I used a tapered ballnose and parallel passes in fusion 360. Feed and speed depend on your machine.

8 Likes

My abilities on Fusion are at about 6 out of 10, getting there, but have a ways to go. Thanks for the video!

Fantastic work ! Impressive !

With your 6/10 you produced some awesome pieces ! Any previous work in CNC ?

Just getting started. Looking forward to my third piece. Already have it planned. Question if you don’t mind. When creating a pocket is there a way to apply a radius between the vertical walls and the floor of the pocket? Can that be done in Carbide Create? Thanks.

Yes, this can be done using a ball-nosed tool β€” you just need inset geometry:

(note that it will be easiest to do this with the corners rounded a bit more than the tool which will be used)

Inset by the radius of the ball-nosed tool to be used:

Apply:

There are a couple of ways to do this β€” the easiest is to assign a pocket toolpath to the inset geometry using a square endmill (to get a flat bottom):

Then a no offset contour to the same geometry using a ball-nosed tool:

If you reduce the stock you can see the rounding clearly:

1 Like

Wilson,
Congratulations on your year of projects.
Jumping in with Shapeoko appears to have been an excellent decision.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.