My first tiling project, need help before cutting

So im starting my first tiling project,
The Metro’s sign Top.c2d (496 KB)

This file is 30" x 60" sign

I’m starting the top portion first, and i dont know if i should start my zero at 30" or 31" from the top

Counting the overlap i would think 31" would be correct, but when it comes to the bottom portion, there’s an inch that will be negative space from my work piece. I don’t have the stock to do a test run, so i need to get this right lol

When it comes to my bottom cut, should i start the cut at the corner of 0x0, or do i go -1 to account for the overlap which i’ve set at an inch

30" from the bottom :wink: If you measure from the top & the wood isn’t exactly 60" the cuts won’t line up right.
Your zeros are at 0,0 and 0,30

If you look at the G-code, you can see your contour path starts at X1.0 Y-1.0 (in the overlap region)

G0X1.0000Y-1.0000
Z0.0098
G1Z-0.0400F12.0
Y29.0000F60.0
X29.0000
Y-1.0000
Z0.1500

I would recommend fastening a fence to the left edge to slide the part along. Machine the fence parallel to the Y axis before setting up your job. You can make a mark on the fence where you set zero, and a mark on your part at 30". Then you only have to set zero once.

I probably wouldn’t use tiling for this job. I would do it manually and create a program to do the “MET”, “Bar &”, and “Est.” on the lower half, and the remaining letters on the upper half. Then you don’t have to worry if the “R”, “L” & “2” are going to line up perfectly when you move.

You could output the lower half with the zero at Lower-Left, and the upper half with zero at Center-Left.
Or you could just set your zero to Y30 when you do the upper half.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.