My homage to the iconic Eddie Van Halen striped aesthetic, a guitar built from solid padauk, maple, and wenge

I’ve always loved Eddie Van Halen’s iconic striped series of guitars, so I decided to build an homage to this classic style. Rather than painting the stripes onto the body, I constructed the guitar from solid pieces of padauk (red), maple (white), and wenge (black). The guitar is based largely on Eddie’s custom 1986 Kramer striped guitar that he played during the 5150 tour. My name is also Kramer which is a happy coincidence :joy:.

Here’s an album with some of the photos from the build.

I’m currently auctioning this guitar on eBay with 100% of proceeds going to my favorite charity, camfed.org.

Original v. mine:

39 Likes

Incredible workmanship!!! And even better cause. Well done!!

Are the front and back panels made separately or did you glue up and cut the stock in half?

What is the Ebay link?

never mind, found it. One-of-a-Kind Eddie Van Halen Custom Electric Guitar | eBay

Killer job. The work it took to line up the wood to make the stripes is crazy good.
What pickup did you put in it…and better yet, how does it sound

1 Like

Nicely done looks the part
I think any of us guitar builders would like to hear a bit more about the process, did you machine it all as parts the headstock joint looks interesting or just saw and make an Eddie patterend blank. Always interested in learning how the experts do stuff. Again nice work and offering to charity is a real nice act of kindness.

Awesome job. I remember years ago watching a video of Eddie himself showing step by step how he made his Frankenstrat. So far, I have been unable to find that video.

As a guitar maker myself, all I can say is… That is all sorts of BAD ASS!! LOVE IT

That is sick AF. Don’t have a musical gene in my body but as a wood guy I am enthralled. Makes Eddies look…:). Excellent work!!!

Nice tight work! How did you get the padauk from not bleeding into the maple?

Great work thank you for sharing.

Sure! For the body, I did all of the cuts and glue-ups until I had a complete, stripey body blank. I then resawed it in half and glued a maple panel in the center to give it the white stripe all along the outer edge (think Oreo cookie). Then machined the body as a single piece in a two sided operation.

For the neck, I wanted the v-shaped transition from maple neck to padauk headstock seen here in the original:

So to achieve this, I cut a v-shaped bridle joint using two-sided machining on the neck and headstock blanks, then glued them together.

After that, I milled slots for carbon bars to add rigidity, glued on the fingerboard, and milled out the neck.

For the headstock, I milled half-depth slots to glue in the stripes.

Hopefully that explains it!

3 Likes

In places it was unavoidable; if I were to do it again I’d be a lot more intentional about sanding/finishing one section at a time.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.