My own CW-3000 chiller adventure

After getting inspired by reading @Julien’s adventure, I found and ordered a different CW-3000 unit from the same seller on eBay.

It is a larger unit with dual fluid circuits and double the flow rate, but it has a smaller fluid reservoir, 1 litre less according to the specs.

I’ll post pictures and more info here when it arrives.

2 Likes

Just curious… what were the other options you had looked into before pulling the trigger on the CW-3000?

Currently testing the waters with the pond pump sealed container setup.

Since the pond pump that came with the spindle kit started making noises, the reservoir might have be been contaminated with some chips :rofl: , so I had to look at some options.

They were either buy a new better pond pump like an Eheim or go with the PC water-cooling hardware.

Prices for either solution, when bought locally here I Norway, was more than the CW-3000.

The pond / fountain pumps are really not a good match for the flow / head characteristics of a water cooled spindle. Their already short working life (for the cheap Chinese units) will be made even shorter by operating close to or below their minimum stable flow point at high head and very low flow.

There are quite a few more suitable pumps such as those intended for solar heating circulation etc. with flow / head curves much closer to this application, I assume this is the sort of pump to be found in the CW-3000 chiller unit.

1 Like

Well I guess there goes more of my money

I wouldn’t worry about it as you’ve already got the pump.

It may well just sit there happily working for years, or it may fail early like the nasty thing in my spindle kit did. There’s a lot of quality variation in small water pumps, like Andy said, some of the Eheim are still German quality (but not manufactured there), others in the Eheim range are total garbage with the Eheim name on them (compact series), same with other makes.

If yours packs up early there are loads of small pumps on eBay and Amazon with better suited flow / head curves which will be operating at a less stressful point pushing coolant through a spindle which you can replace the pump with, no need to do anything with the enclosure or anything else.

edit -

The most common failure mode for these cheap pumps is bearing wearout which is preceded by an extended period of loud and irritating rattling and clanking which gives you plenty of time to choose and purchase a replacement.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.