My Shapeoko on Steroids

World of Tanks is the only game I play and I love the model. Is it cast or was it milled on a cnc?

Also watch out for HEAT buildup on the turret cheeks lol.

This is 100% a Maus have upgrade!

Made me bust out laughing, thank you for the effort. I am very envious of this ultimate Shapeoko, and I wish I had one!

1 Like

Latest Update, two more tools on the magazine and also solved the Electrical noise that was triggering the arduino…

6 Likes

Maybe it’s just me, but anyone else upset the ball screws don’t have support on both ends? With all the work you put into this, why just have them float?

3 Likes

It looks odd but…

If you read the specs from the ballscrew manufacturers there’s options for how to support the screw.

There are good reasons to only fully constrain the screw at one end, as in constrained both radially and axially. That’s usually the motor end. The fixed-supported approach where the tail is only radially supported allows the screw and the machine to thermally expand at different rates without bending the screw into a banana or putting it under lots of tension and destroying bearings.

There’s four basic cases in the below doc for where you put which kind of support bearings when you calculate the max rated speed for the screw. There’s some surprisingly large machines that don’t support the tail end and let it wag around though. It does limit the speed, and looks quite “wrong” and it just feels wrong, but I’m not going to argue with the manufacturer.

Check out page 10 of this;

Page 31 shows how the mounting type (from pg 31 diagrams) impacts the max rotational (critical) speed and buckling load of the ballscrew.

4 Likes

New buttons to control the magazine, ease for tool set up and also super useful for fine tuning…

8 tool Magazine!!! so happy

7 Likes

Neat ! what happens if the tool magazine is retracted and the G-code triggers a tool change ? do you have any interlock do avoid dropping toolholders on the wasteboard ?

2 Likes

Yes, when the vfd turns on the spindle, there is a relay that triggers 2 other relays, one for water pump and the other shuts down the magazine… masso does not allow the trigger of the drawbar at the wrong time, but anyways a will add as third relay in order to disable the wiring…

3 Likes

Reading again, forgot to mention that the TC logic on Masso, checks for an input (microswitch) to detect the extended position of the magazine in order to continue the process and release the toolholder… otherwise goes to error and stops the process… same happens for the retracted position, only after it confirms it has been retracted, it continues to the tool setter.

2 Likes

I have just received this as a payment for helping fix a cnc router

21kg
5.5 kw
7.5 hp
ISO30 toolholder
24 k rpm

oh boy…

7 Likes

I can’t wait to see how you fit that on your Shapeoko.

2 Likes

Looks like you built a stout machine but I hope you never get a bind up with the bit. With 7.5 HP something would have to give.

2 Likes

I has a NAME

7 Likes

Truly Wonderful, Incredible and Fascinating - OKO ?

4 Likes

@Julien Should be your next challenge…uncover the acronym!

3 Likes

Looks great, now for some ballscrew / rail chip guards to keep those ball nuts from eating chips and you can go ahead and ship the unit to my house so you have enough space for your 7.5hp cnc build.

All kidding aside I hope you get to enjoy all your hard work you put into this build and your machine cuts true for years to come. Or at least long enough to mill the parts for it’s larger replacement.

3 Likes

At last i finished the ATC Magazine, i found a beautiful pneumatic mechanism that works like a charm…

8 Likes

Beautiful!
Now you just need some belllows or way covers for those rails.

2 Likes
12 Likes

Nothing else happening, so far at work and no news about the machine!!!