My tray procedure

I thought I would share my procedure for making trays. I make 4 different sizes, and have work coordinates set for each size in my Fusion 360 setup. I have matching work coordinates setup in CNCjs and 4 dowel holes in my wasteboard for each size.This pic is with the dowels in place.

I start off by cutting my stock to size (X,Y) and putting grooves in the side for clamps. Then I face this side and put in the matching dowel holes. This is done with a “moving” work coordinate “G54”

The dowel holes are press fit size. I can flip this over and hammer the stock down onto the dowels. Now I mill out the legs and handles. Leaving enough stock to hold the piece together really well, about 3/8"+.
Matching dowel holes are put in this side also for the final flip. At this point, I can put the piece to the side and wait on the customer to give me a custom order for the top.

Once I know what the customer wants, I can hammer the piece back onto my wasteboard and finish it up.

I hope this may give some of you some ideas, and maybe give me some ideas.
Happy machining!!!

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing your process, it looks very efficient and great for prepping a product then just chucking them in to personalize and finish them once the orders come through.

It looks like you leave 1/8" on the outside then cut all the way through leaving tabs on the final profile cut, is that how you do it?

1 Like

Yes. The final cut is an outside contour from the top side. I do leave tabs on this final cut.