My version of Shapeoko on Rails (XL)

I already have a aluminum t-slot bed as replacement for the mdf board. This gives the base a pretty good rigidity for now. No plans (so far) to do more here

Hopefully that should be covered with tightening of the screwsā€¦ if you look on other machines using extrusions like this your can do a lot of alignment by adjusting the screw tightening.

This works well for the positioning of the rails to each other. Tighten on and the just hand tighten. Then you the mounted plate to positioned the other rails correctly with its blocks.

If the extrusion if really uneven this might be a problem. But Iā€™ve seen many builds with extrusions like this and it does not seem to be a problem.

With UCCNC that Iā€™m currently runningā€¦ literally could not be any better. Iā€™m learning to make my own screenset for it which is made really easy in UCCNC

I was running LinuxCNC for a few years, and it was good, but really hard to set up, it took me a good week to get a shapeoko 3 on a Gecko g540 workingā€¦ It has a huge amount of functionality and customisation, more than any other software Iā€™ve seen, but it all has to be done in code and that started to drive me nuts. I wanted to set probing cycles a certain way, add buttons to the screen to do things like raise the Z and go to back right corner while loading stockā€¦ very possible with LinuxCNC but I couldnā€™t get it figured out.

UCCNC has been a dream since thenā€¦ <10mins to set up, you want a button, go to settings and click ā€˜Add buttonā€™ā€¦ you can move buttons around, create your own macros linked to buttonsā€¦ Itā€™s all Very easy

A lot of people say good things about MASSO controllers too

I finally was able to rework the first design with the 120x80 Profileā€¦ Also changed the side of the ball screw motor to have the maximum drive way of the Z plate to the right where the zero point should remain.

Hope I can start the mockup in December!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.