Myers wasteboard on a Shapeoko 4 XXL

So I’m confused about the sizing of the Myers wasteboard. The machine can travel to the advertised 33x33 inches. I happen to have a piece of 3/4 MDF that’s 32(Y)x33(X). Do you suggest I modify the file to accommodate that space, or should I stick with the specified 31x31??

Or is it a matter of where it will travel vs where it will cut?

From his blog

Ben Myers

12/31/2018 08:43:58 am

Nathan,
Even thought the said cutting area is 33x33" the router won’t actually reach that left to right…and some of that cutting area is the area hanging off the front of the machine.
Did you right click on the file and save as .c2d? You cannot left click on the link or it will open in txt. Alternatively you can click the links on the right sidebar.
Ben

I saw that, but I’m thinking the 4 can actually cut it’s full advertised capacity. I loaded a 1/4" bit in the router and measured where the bit stops on my machine. It’s not the full width of the hybrid table, but from stop to stop, it’s 33 on X and like 33-1/8 on Y (from the front edge, I know it can go past for bitsetter).

The Myers spoil board was a good design but Mr Myers did not take into account several things. First if you make the spoil board the maximum cutting dimensions you cannot surface the whole thing leading to ridges at the back and/or both sides. Secondly his files from his sites were designed in an older version of CC so sometimes the files do not work properly on newer versions of CC. It is usually just remaking the tool paths but they may work as saved from his sites.

I have posted this before for the Shapeoko 3 machines but it is applicable to the newer 4 and 4 Pro models if you want a supplemental spoil board on top of your hybrid table.

Enjoy spoilboard_considerations.pdf (1.3 MB)

Please reply if you think it was helpful.

On a Shapeoko 3 XXL the travel dimensions are something like 33x33 but part of that 33 is hanging off the front so for a spoil board you want it completely supported and not hanging off the front edge.

5 Likes

I’ll give that a read. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.