Mystery Screw on X Rail fell off

So this fell off somewhere mid print into the X Rail and blocked my vwheel and made my cut fail. i have no idea where it goes since im pretty sure the type of screw it is its meant to be flush

Looks like a set screw that holds the drive wheel to a stepper motor

1 Like

definitely a set screw from one of the pulleys, and it’s very important they be in place and locked (each pulley has two, and one of the two must be positioned against the stepper motor’s flat). You may use a little Locktite when you put it back.

5 Likes

it was 100% a set screw for the X pulley

would this have by any chance been a cause of the random ovalness i would get? like doing a wasteboard about 25% of my circle were massivly mishapen.

1 Like

loose set screws typically produce sudden shifts in the cut, a semi-loose set screw may produce some level of randomness indeed. The other likely culprit for oval circles is a loose v-wheel, check all of them too (they should not spin freely, but just barely)

1 Like

Please see:

https://docs.carbide3d.com/shapeoko-faq/shapeoko-3-how-to-check-the-pulley-set-screws/

and always check them per:

1 Like

I found that the pulley set screws and a few others on my machine that came loose were deserving of a drop or two of Loctite 242 or equivalent.

Make sure you get one which is for disassembly with normal hand tools.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.