Narrow slits on cnc

I need to create 5 separate slits into hardwood that would hold a penny standing up. The slit needs to be deep enough to hold the penny without going through the would.
What bit and toolpath do I use in carbide create to not have the slit be so wide that the coin tips?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mary T

Don’t you have a penny or two to measure? :smiley:

2 Likes

I tried V cut, I tried the 102 Square bit
They make the slit too wide and the penny doesn’t stand up.

I don’t like that I have to make the slits by hand with a Dremel because it’s not as accurate.

It boils down to the fact that I can’t seem to make a super narrow slit about 3/8" deep and about 3/8 inch long.

Seems like it would be so simple, but I don’t have end mills that small.

This link may be helpful:

It shows 1.52mm (0.05984252" or 0.00266 smaller than 1/16" end mill) in thickness, but you will likely want a slight offset so the penny will fit in.

As a test - cut a contour of a line with a 1/16" end mill the depth you want the penny to sit. Test fit the penny and see if it goes in easily and is snug enough for your purpose.

3 Likes

A penny is 3/4" in diameter. If you want it to sit 3/8" deep, then the slot should be at least 0.750" long.
i.e. the penny will be sitting halfway in the slot.
If you have a 1/16" cutter, make the slot about 0.070 wide and use a pocket toolpath. This will give the cutter enough relief that it’s not cutting a slot the same width as the tool, with a little space to evacuate chips & prevent burning.

6 Likes

I’m trying that now! Thank you so much!

That worked! Whoop whoop!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.