Nautical map conversion for carving

I’m looking to create a carving of a lake (multiple fishing holes, etc) but I don’t know where to get the data to convert it into a heatmap or file that CC can use.

This is the lake I’m trying to do, but I can’t find a database or height/depth map to use to convert a part of this lake.

What tools or resources are out there that can do this? There’s millions of lakes, so the nautical map above was probably created via “crowdsourcing” of GPS/depth readings from boats that were on the lakes, but I dont know how to use this information. I have some decent programming skills, so working with raw data is something I’d be interested too.

Any experience with this or a post I could look through?

1 Like

No experience with the conversion, but as a boater and fisherman, I am interested in doing the same thing!

Looks like Grand lac Victoria is also in the Navionics Web App. You can bounce between the Navionics and Sonar Chart data types for differing resolution.

If it were me starting out with no experience, I would start zooming in to the level of detail you are interested in, and then start capturing screens shots, and seeing what the trace feature could give me in CC.

All that said, there are some very accomplished folks on here who have done this already, so hopefully we will both learn from them and it won’t be that tedious!

See:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.