Navy Beer Stein and Coffee Cup Holder

This certainly wasn’t the first thing I made, but it’s one I’m fairly happy with. I originally made it as a test for another customer and decided to put my wings, callsign, and squadron designators on it. I honestly thought I’d end up throwing it away if it didn’t work. I’m happy it did, and I can hang all my old squadron mugs and steins on my office wall now. Win-win.

4 Likes

Turned out nice. What bit did you use for the emblem?

This was just a Whiteside half-inch 90 degree V-bit for the whole thing. It was one of the first times I had used a v-carve function.

On later ones I’ve done like the one pictured below, once I started engraving squadron patches instead of alpha numeric designators I use a collection of small engraving bits that are generally between 90 and 40 degrees. 90 and 60 if I’m v-carving and 60 or 40 if I’m just contouring a line.

5 Likes

Thank you for the info again very nice work.

Do you think I can use only a 60 degree V-bit to get the same details? How long did it take to cnc?

Hey, sorry for the slow response. I don’t get on the forums much. I usually cut these out of .75 inch plywood so I think a 60 degree bit would cut too deep to get the width of some of the v-cuts. The whole thing took about an hour to cut. Hope that helps.

And I didn’t scroll up to see what project we were talking about. It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at this thread. Each of the patches took about 30 minutes with a 60 degree engraving bit and the wings took about 45 with a half inch 90 degree v bit.