Need help understanding start up on my 5 pro machine

so this may be a bit long so bare with me. I seem to be having trouble with the set up / job start on my 5 pro. as i understand when setting up to start a job theses are the steps you follow.

1. home the machine with an end mill in the collet so bit setter can establish a tool length.

2. set project xyz zero with the first end mill for project or end mill that you will change out.

3. if you need to change an end mill after you xyz zero but before you start the job you must preform a load new tool home so the machine does not lose the xyz datum position set earlier.

4. check xyz axis zeros by using the rapid position function in the movement tab

5. load file and start job.

I would like to know if i have those steps correct or is there something i am missing. also do i need to start my set up over if i press the red stop button? another thing i have noticed is the my project size in the readout for the machine ( in the screen that pops up so you can check your job before you cut it) is not correct. the current job i am working on is (x = 33.75 ) (y= 11.9375) and (z= .684) for the drawing size. the read out is (x= 33.82) (y= 11.62) (z= 1) . I do not know if the read out should be matching my project size on my drawing? Are there other things that it is measuring. if it is supposed to match my drawing size are there steps that i need to take to fix it . what would they be? also could i have some how thrown the machine out of calibration some how and is there a way to fix it? sorry about the wall of text I’m still trying to learn how this machine works. any help you may be able to give me would be great.

#1 Correct. Home machine with what you have there.
#2 When using the Bit Zero, I use a similar-sized piece of stock, Carbide provided or broken mill. : Reason, Stock does not have flutes. When zeroing for me, the flute hitting Bit Zero at a weird clock can make my Zero off a few thousands.
#3 Load Job
#4 If you want, Check Zero
Run Job

2 Likes

For setting my xyz zeros I have a piece of 1/4" stainless rod that I ground to a point. So I fire up the machine, when it asks for a tool I put that pointy bit in, set my zeros, load job, hit start, then I will be prompted to load the first tool.

In the few instances where I had to “red button” myself out of pickle I recheck the zeros. I have work holding bits in place along x and y so every piece of stock will always have the same x y zero. However, I have noticed that whenever I restart the machine, either from “red button incident” or just after a proper shut down, x and y can be slightly off. Never more than a few thousandths of an inch, but still off. I always check zeros before cutting.

Noy sure what to tell you about the project read out sizes. I think that is meant to show the imputed stock size.

1 Like

On a SO3 here’s what I do.
Initialize the machine, it will home X and Y and with any cutter loaded it will set the Z with the bit setter.
Next jog to and set up X, Y, Z, zero (do not change the cutter during set up). then load your file.
If you plan on using a different cutter other than what was used for the set up, when the program starts it will ask for a tool change and then remeasure it. (Do not have the spindle/ router, on/spinning
when using bit setter)
it doesn’t want to be cut :dizzy_face:

Using the E - Stop (red button) should retain zeros, but worthy to recheck if used.

The second set of numbers is what was entered in the job set up ( in the design tab click on the :gear: icon)
its the size and thickness of the material that’s going to be used, and very important the toolpath zero and the job box. Make sure everything is correct for the project.

It appears your Y is bigger in your drawing then in the set up, this should show up in the preview window :grinning:
Hope this helps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.