Need help with boolean operation

I am having the hardest time trying to make a cut-out on this cheese board. If I make a triangle, then put the circle there, then select both, I can do a boolean operation and subtract the circle from the triangle, which is what I want. HOWEVER, I also want that slightly curved bottom. So I had to remove the triangle and just do an upside down V, and then add the curve to the bottom to get the look I want. But now I can’t do the boolean operation because it’s not a solid frame. If I MAKE it a solid frame, then I can’t have the curved bottom without spending hours moving around the nodes to get it to look right. I don’t see any option to weld the curve to the upside down V to make it complete - I feel like I am in a catch 22. What am I doing wrong here? Surely there is a way to do this.

Not sure if this is what you want to do…but here’s what I did:
Create a triangle:

Then Selected the triangle and went into “Edit Points”
Then selected the bottom two nodes, clicked “S” (Smooth), and dragged the top handle until it connected with the arm of the triangle:

Clicked Done

1 Like

The problem here is that Boolean operations only work on closed paths.

A similar tool for open paths is Trim Vectors, so one would:

click on the geometry which you don’t want:

Then Join Vectors:

If you want to join the arc and the partial triangle to get your curved triangle there is a tool that allows you to “join vectors” once you have selected both items (hold shift to select multiples). That should combine your two part triangle/curve into a single closed shape. After that your booleans should work.

Thank you! This helped!

Ah! I’m learning more and more! Thank you! The tools in Carbide Create are so limiting I think.

What would you like to do in Carbide Create which you are having difficulty with?

Please see:

If there’s something you can’t puzzle out how to do, please let us know and we will walk through it with you.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.