Need some help machine crashing to front right after each tool path

ok so I have a weird bug going on and I’m not sure whats going on.

I have an xxl with a hdz and a spindle, I zero from a fence located on the back left with a wasteboard z zero so I never have to change my zero for sheet goods which is the vast majority of what I run.

had a spindle failure in the middle of a known good file. Last night I replaced spindle and vfd, never changed the zero and re ran the file to finish, no issues.

I use fusion 360 and am in the process of converting all my files from a 2430 to a 3030 stock size. I redid just about 20 files last night. I use the arrange function and patterned tools paths by components so this was easy.

This morning went to work at getting caught up on orders, loaded a new file and a new stock, as usual I havent touched the zeros.

My first operation is a predrill for hold down screws, run it, screw it down. Bit change happens and I have a 37 Min pocketing operation, works great until the last minute when it finishes cutting and is supposed to go front center for a bit change for a contour cut but instead it goes straight to front right and crashes.

So I double check im using the carbide post process and suppress the pre drill and pocket and post a code for just the contour hoping its just a fluke and i can save some material and finish the job,

Turn the machine back on and re initialize, load the file for the contour only ( no tool changes. Everything goes fine cuts it out with a 5 minute operation, then when it would normally go right rear after a job it goes r/f and crashes again.

Now I know its not a fluke and I need some help figuring out what happened.

below is a screen shot of the GRBL code at the very end of the contour only operation. Ill post the file and a couple videos of what happened in a minute.

24 INCH GNOME.nc (922.5 KB)

are you sure the bitsetter & coordinates are set correctly? They look quaint to me and would explain your observed behavior

The bitt setter location is correct. It works fine for the initialization and for the file start bit height setting event. Also the end of the contour pass should go r/r for file finished and return home.

I Know nothing about GRBL code other than what I have taught myself in the last hour or two. with that said the last portion of the g code for the contour pass looks identical to the file that worked fine last night. Everything after the M9 looks identical so I would thing the code isn’t causing it

if you’re suspicious about the gcode, I can recommend using “ncviewer” to inspect it… it’s a great tool for that purpose

1 Like

well nc viwer just got added to my proccess. Turns out I had an extra part 5 feet away that had visibility turned off. Thank you. Cant believe I overlooked that

2 Likes

next time get the Shapeoko XXXXXXL :slight_smile:

1 Like

That gave me a much needed chuckle,

In reality my next machine will be a shop sabre 5x10 with vac hold down, 10 position atc, and a 5-10 hp spindle, even then this may have caused a crash lol. I could buy that machine now and finance it and it will literally pay for it self and then some every month if our business keeps growing, but what I cant afford is the land, shop, and electrical service required to operate the machine and keep it fed

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.