Need to replace the board below the spoil board

Shapeoko 3 XXL

I’m looking to replace the 42x39.5” piece of MDF on the bottom… it kind of sags in the middle and isn’t very rigid. Wondering if anybody has upgraded this part to metal or perhaps thicker MDF?

Also I know there are kits and things out there but has anybody expanded the bed size?

I’d love to be able to do a full 4x8 sheet, but 4x4 would be better than 30x30.

Thanks!

I have an SO3 XXL and had the sagging middle. First I put a piece of 3/4" plywood under it and that helped. To give me a permanent fix I built a torsion box for the SO3 to sit on and put a piece of 3/4" rigid foam under it after removing the leveling feet. I have a write up about how to make a torsion box if interested.

Replacing the base board will not help. Unless it is damaged all it does is hold your supplemental spoilboard in place. If you dont want to build a torsion box then take the leveling feet off and put a piece of 3/4" rigid foam board you can get at any big box store.

torsion_box.pdf (2.0 MB)

The real issue is the steel frame flexes from the weight of the SO3. So unless you support the middle or build a torsion box and put the foam under it it will continue to sag. The rigid foam really helps support the weight of the whole machine. If you put the foam under the SO3 be sure to surface your spoilboard and check tram.

2 Likes

You know what’s funny is the table I got with this looks almost exactly like this. I don’t know it was called a torsion box, but I can absolutely take the feet off and attach it to this. Mine has a pipe at each end in the center, and the prior owners theory was it could be bolted to the surface and the whole thing flipped over to use as an assembly table.

For the rigid foam, I’m having trouble visualizing where you are putting that. Are you saying in place of the very bottom boards?

Foam goes under the machine supporting everything (cut holes for the feet or remove them) on top of the torsion box.

Wouldn’t I just remove the feet, and attach the metal frame directly to the torsion box, and have the 3/4 MDF under the spoil board?

We don’t recommend fastening the machine — block it in at the corners instead — I will note that I did secure one of my SO3s to a miter saw stand, but the final version of that was: machine w/ aluminum table, layer of foam with through holes, MDF base, rails to fasten to saw stand:

When you say block in at the corners, how do you mean? I can’t tell from the pic. And thanks for all the help.

The pictures show actually securing a machine using bolts — I was able to justify it by using a threaded aluminum table and putting foam in-between it and the MDF and steel rails (which seemed quite straight when I checked them) I was bolting to.

Blocking in at the corners would be putting in blocks which would keep the machine from shifting — if need be the blocks could be L shaped and reach up and over so as to prevent the machine from lifting.