NEJE Laser Mount

1/4" 6061

Sketch in F360

Clearance is clearance

That single bolt in the front will loose the laser and it can slide off. The mount will remain attached, still allows easy access to Sweepy, I don’t think it will interfere with anything.

(I haven’t actually used the module yet, no comments how well it performs.)

6 Likes

First test! I think 2000mm/min at 10% power.

It’s alive!

I already cut out a new mount as this one required me to slide the laser a bit lower in the black bracket then I prefer. My goal is to have the top of the laser extrusion level with the black bracket, as pictured in the first post. The small orange acrylic actually catches on the black bracket nicely to act as a stop.

1 Like

I’ve played around a bit more with this laser, it’s pretty good!

So far I’m doing wood burning (fill) at 6000mm/min, 60% power. So there’s room to go faster even still.

I made a connector to swap between my spindle and laser PWM control. The laser is easily removed when not in use to protect the lens from getting dirty.

Picked up some glasses from these guys 532nm Laser Safety Glasses , risking a purchase from a questionable source is not worth it.

1 Like

A fun discovery tonight.

Focal distance is 22mm to bottom of the orange plastic window. The window hangs down slightly.

Coincidentally, it’s 25.4mm to the bottom of the heatsink. A 1-2-3 block is great to measure the focal distance.

3 Likes

Nice progress!

How is the module connected to the C3D board? Does it plug in to the PWM connector directly or do you use a separate board?

It needs PWM, power and ground. So I use my bitrunner output for PWM/ground, and then an external power supply for power/ground. The laser came with a kind of breakout board that lets you do a few options, one of which is a DC barrel jack for power and PWM/GND screw terminals.

Hardest part of the whole thing is remembering to enable/disable laser mode in GRBL. I’m going to put this in my G-Code start/stop for F360 as well as LightBurn.

@WillAdams Do you know if Carbide Motion will send $$ commands in a gcode file or if it will strip them out?

1 Like

Last time I tried it did ignore/strip them

Dang :frowning: Would be nice to ensure laser mode is turned off in my F360 post.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Made an extended laser shroud.

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/113559-neje-a40640-protection-shroud

It should help cover that dot a little better.

Note, NEJE has since downgraded this from a 15W optical power to 10W optical power. I guess the youtubers called them out on it.