New Member with Shapeoko 5 Pro

Hi guys. Just assembled my new Shapeoko 5 Pro and ready to go except waiting on the spindle. Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Can I run the machine with CM to test movement? Can i run the Hello World program without the spindle?

As you can tell just excited to get going.

Thanks all!

1 Like

Sure. Learning the way CM behaves is good.
You can run the Hello World, but you will have to find a way to mount the pen and base your center off of that.

Or, if you are really dying to cut wood and the spindle will take a while then get the Makita or C3D router and then have it on hand as a spare once you have the spindle installed. If you buy the Makita it will come with the other attachments you would need to use it as a hand held trim router so you can do non CNC things with it as well.

1 Like

Awesome. Great to hear. The spindle is supposed to be here tomorrow but I might not be able to set that up until later in the week. Since its Sunday I would like to do something.

Thanks for the feedback.

2 Likes

I remember that day, I was the same way. While I was waiting for parts and few hick-ups with hardware I used that time to learn the software and watch tutorial videos on C3D website.

1 Like

Here is what I want to carve on a black walnut board:

There are 6 “whitecaps” that I want to contour around:

How do I pocket the rest without this happening and cutting through my “whitecaps”??

1 Like

If I understand this correctly, I think you can include the whitecaps (as additional selections) in your pocket operation and it will effectively do both of those steps at the same time. Assuming your bit is small enough to fit into the tight spaces. If you upload the file it would be easy to check.

The 6 whitecaps are not connected to the other vectors. I can cut around the whitecaps in one pass but when I go to process the remainder as one, it will cut paths right through the whitecaps. That’s what I want to avoid and don’t know how to.

Please post the .c2d file — I suspect it is an example of bug which other folks have reported.

If you select just the one vector…

… it will cut over the whitecaps…

… however if you select all the vectors…

… I think you will get what you want …

1 Like

sopris original file.c2d (108 KB)

I will give that a try, Robert. Thanks

It worked. So easy. But I’m still a newbie and learning with the help of others. Thanks Robert & Will.

@ColdCoffee is correct — that region was simply not included in the selection for the toolpath:

Attached as a v7 file.

sopris original file.c2d (236 KB)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.